[SOLVED] HELP liquid cooling for ASUS GeForce RTX 3090

Oct 12, 2020
Hi, I just got a PC with this graphics card without any kind of liquid cooling. I'm gonna be using intense 3D programs and am gonna be rendering a lot so I need to know if i'll need water cooling, and if so, which is the best solution. I'm not very savvy on computer parts and im just learning my way around but I'm extremely invested in this system and I need to be sure i wont burn my GPU and I can take advantage of all it's power.

Right now it goes up to 46 C when just browsing on chrome and down to 39 C when idle, according to Speccy. Feels like it's too much. I also haven't been able to find what normal temperatures are.

Leaving the rest of the specs for further reference:

case: COOLER MASTER SILENCIO S600 - MID TOWER
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X-processor16 cores (3,4 GHz-4,9 GHz/72 MB CACHE/AM4)
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X (USB 3.2 Gen 1, PCIe 4.0)
RAM: 128 GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000 MHz (4 x 32 GB
GPU: 24 GB ASUS ROG STRIX NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
STORAGE: 8 TB Samsung 870 QVO 2,5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (maximaal 560 MB/sR | 530 MB/sW) x2
2 TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (maximaal 3500 MB/R, 3300 MB/W) x2
PSU: CORSAIR 1000 W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD

CPU
COOLING: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro-series + ARCTIC MX-4 paste
CASE
COOLING: 2 x 120 mm Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 ventilatorS

I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you

Solution
The GPU will take care of itself. Even if you completely starved it of air, it would just adjust clocks and power input until the heatsink could simply handle it. Obviously that is not good to do.

Improving airflow in a case is one of the best ways to help a GPU. Most GPUs exchange air inside the chassis, if there isn't fresh air coming in and the heated air being exhausted, it doesn't really matter how much cooling you have. Same with watercooling. Putting the radiator in a case with no front openings is just as bad (and sadly very common these days)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Idle temps aren't that important. Cards will even shut off their fans to save power now.

Normal temperatures on an Nvidia graphics card are up to 95C or more. GPU will throttle itself to remain under 83C if the settings from the factory are the defaults. It should still maintain the base clock listed by the manufacturer even under those conditions.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to absolutely maximize performance.

Properly water cooling an RTX3090 is going to set you back a few hundred dollars. I don't recommend doing an AIO installation on it, since the VRMs and memory particularly are known to run hot on these cards. A full coverage block would be the way to go.

I suggest heading over to EKWB.com for some suggestions. They will certainly have a block that fits the Strix and give you a parts list based on your case, etc. Since you already have a radiator in the system, that may complicate things.

Actually that chassis might be a little small for the job. You may want to consider something more water cooling friendly.

Reactions: CiervoVul
Oct 12, 2020
Yeah I thought the same thing when I first opened the case, but it's cool I can wait and save up to finish the build with those extra components and perhaps a new chassis if necessary.

Thing is I'm not even sure what my max needs are as I'm working on a relatively low spec laptop and everything takes ages, but I guess I'll have to test it out and figure things out in time.

Just to be sure though, if I were to exceed the capacity of this gpu and cause it to overheat, the self throttle mechanism would prevent it from getting damaged? Or is there actual danger here? Because I'm not sure of how intensive some processes can be and if the gpu has a way of knowing it wont pull through.

Maybe some extra chassis fans could help a little to maintain a lower temp inside the case but would they have any effect whatsoever on the temperatures of the individual components?

Thank you for the insightful answer it helps a lot!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The GPU will take care of itself. Even if you completely starved it of air, it would just adjust clocks and power input until the heatsink could simply handle it. Obviously that is not good to do.

Improving airflow in a case is one of the best ways to help a GPU. Most GPUs exchange air inside the chassis, if there isn't fresh air coming in and the heated air being exhausted, it doesn't really matter how much cooling you have. Same with watercooling. Putting the radiator in a case with no front openings is just as bad (and sadly very common these days)

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution