Mar 13, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I just build a PC for gaming purpose with the following specs:

Intel Core i3-9100F
CUBE GAMING ELTRON
Enermax MaxPro II 500W 80+ White
Windows 10 Home
TP-Link 150 Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter - TL-WN781ND
GEIL DDR4 EVO POTENZA PC21330 2666MHz Dual Channel 16GB (2x8GB)
ASRock H310CM-HDV/M.2
ADATA SSD SU650 480GB SATA III
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB DDR6 - Ventus XS OC
TP-LINK Bluetooth
DELL U2419H Monitor

I've used MSI afterburner to monitor my system (attached).

View: https://imgur.com/a/6mp0nLn

Any suggestions on :
  1. How to improve my system for daily & gaming usage? I mostly play games such as Battlefield 1, GTA V, World War Z on high and ultra settings. I'm not really keen on overclocking as I heard it is not risk-free.
  2. The optimum temperature for my system when idle and gaming?
Thanks!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)From time to time, check up on motherboard driver updates and install them manually. Do not use an automatic driver assistant program, like Driver Booster, for example.
Correction - not just the motherboard, but all on-board devices, if driver and firmware updates are available for them.

Windows Defender isn't foolproof. I'd suggest a secondary security program, like Malwarebytes(Adwcleaner free tool is also available). It helps with malicious software that may sneak past Defender.

Clean the PC out like 2-3 times a year - heck, clean it once a month if you want, just don't go a year or more like some other users may do, later wondering why their PC isn't performing normally... something probably got surrounded by dust bunnies and can't breathe...

Disable Windows Game Bar and Game Mode. Can be found via Windows Search > Gaming.

Refrain from running the browser in the background while playing.

2)Cpu: below 85C
Gpu: below 80C
There's no real standard for them at idle. As long as the cpu isn't idling at 50C or higher.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a H310 and 9400f. You are blocked from OC bothways, so it's not going to be an issue for you one way or another.

Best way to get better playability is get rid of the global 'high' or 'ultra' settings and setup each game individually. There's plenty of tweeks and optimized settings to be found online for any game. Just changing manually a few of the settings like 'cloud density' or other rediculous stuff, from ultra to medium can have a massive impact on fps and minimal impact (if any) on your visual experience. Gains of 30-50fps are not unheard of for such minor changes.

Cpu/gpu temps will change according to use, some games will push higher, some lower, but generally speaking, lower is better because both your cpu and gpu boost clocks are temp responsive. Keeping both under @ 60°C would be ideal, maximum boosts, but the higher you get, the lower the boost. As long as the game is still decently playable, the boost isn't a major concern, but when you start maxing out temps of 80ish or above, it's time to drop some settings or look into better cooling solutions.

raynaldosusanto

Honorable
Mar 13, 2015
You have a H310 and 9400f. You are blocked from OC bothways, so it's not going to be an issue for you one way or another.

Best way to get better playability is get rid of the global 'high' or 'ultra' settings and setup each game individually. There's plenty of tweeks and optimized settings to be found online for any game. Just changing manually a few of the settings like 'cloud density' or other rediculous stuff, from ultra to medium can have a massive impact on fps and minimal impact (if any) on your visual experience. Gains of 30-50fps are not unheard of for such minor changes.

Cpu/gpu temps will change according to use, some games will push higher, some lower, but generally speaking, lower is better because both your cpu and gpu boost clocks are temp responsive. Keeping both under @ 60°C would be ideal, maximum boosts, but the higher you get, the lower the boost. As long as the game is still decently playable, the boost isn't a major concern, but when you start maxing out temps of 80ish or above, it's time to drop some settings or look into better cooling solutions.
Thanks for your input!

As for global high or ultra settings do you mean the preset settings in game where you just click high and every setting is preset?

Also, is closing a game / app using task bar, clicking right and selecting close window has any negative impact?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, when you set global, like high or ultra, everything gets adjusted to that preset. All the post processing like AA gets bumped up, physX gets bumped up, the gpu tries to put shadows on the zit on a dudes nose 600 yards away. You can't really tell the difference, but the gpu sure can as it's got to work that much harder to place/adjust every pixel and it's color variation and saturation to its neighbor. Lowering those details won't really affect you, you aren't specifically looking for that shadow, you just snap-killed dude with a Scout, barely even registering the sight, but the gpu has a lifetime of frames to adjust, and the higher the fps, harder it is to do.

Force closing an app has no consequences other than loss of data and slowing of the pc temporarily. Games don't get saved, services and processes get shut off immediately and it takes a second for windows to accomplish the task and rearrange the cache for whatever is next.

raynaldosusanto

Honorable
Mar 13, 2015
Did anyone turn off fast startup?

Also, the USB port on my pc is still on after I shut down the PC because my RGB mousepad is still on afterward?

Any suggestion on why is this? And is it normal?