Question Help needed after BIOS update causes boot loop ?

Oct 4, 2021
Hello, I tried to update my bios on my gigabyte b450m ds3h v2 Mobo paired with a Ryzen 5 5600x, I originally had a ryzen 3 1600 or something of the like. I tried updating the bios to the latest version (F62D) from F62C I believe it was. The install went okay but the American megatrends page came up for the FTPM record. I accidentally pressed Y instead of N. That made it go into an infinite loop of boot and repair install, boot again go back to repair install over and over. I do not have the original cpu. Would there be any way to fix the problem? I tried going back to a system restore point which wouldn’t work. I cannot seem to find the original bios file location or anything. I feel as though I am screwed. Any help would be appreciated, thank you

unfortunately if you already accepted the repair install you are screwed without a real backup.
you should be able to enter bios/ or clear CMOS and reset to optimized default values but the repair install would've already done its damage to the boot device.

Oct 4, 2021
unfortunately if you already accepted the repair install you are screwed without a real backup.
you should be able to enter bios/ or clear CMOS and reset to optimized default values but the repair install would've already done its damage to the boot device.
Thank you for the reply, now that I think of it, I may have given that cpu to a friend. If I were to have that cpu and change it back over, would I be able to get it to go back to that FTPM record and have it work? Would the new bios version get in the way of any progress? would I have to do a complete reset and lose the data I have on the computer?

edit:I don’t believe that the repair install did anything to repair the problem at all

Last edited:
it depends on the bios notes, some bioses do away with some support for earlier processors to make room in for microcode to support the 5xxx, I suspect the damage has been done if the repair failed, best to disable again (if your boot drive wasn't GPT it may work straight away)
Thank you for the reply, now that I think of it, I may have given that cpu to a friend. If I were to have that cpu and change it back over, would I be able to get it to go back to that FTPM record and have it work? Would the new bios version get in the way of any progress? would I have to do a complete reset and lose the data I have on the computer?

edit:I don’t believe that the repair install did anything to repair the problem at all

TRENDING THREADS