[SOLVED] Help needed Please - BIOS Error

Dec 8, 2021
Thanks for reading I have an HP Omen gt13-1094. It has a Ryzen 7 5800x, RTX 3060 ti, everything is stock. I got it on sale for $1399 as a prebuild from Best Buy. I don’t want to get rid of it because I love the current setup but I have a BIOS error (500) and I’ll admit I’m not very tech savvy but YouTube is amazing. I’ve done everything I know (or googled) to fix the issue.

I’ve installed a previous BIOS version - didn’t help
I’ve replaced the CMOS battery - didn’t help
I have NOT reset the CMOS pins as I’m scared to damage something.
I’ve ran a battery test and it’s showing no battery information, almost like the battery isn’t there but I’ve replaced twice so I know the battery is good, I’m thinking this is where the issue lies.

Now here comes the really weird part. I learned that you can bypass the BIOS startup by holding Windows +B. So for 2 months this has been my startup procedure.

-After shutdown the previous day I unplug the computer from the surge protector.
  • When I get ready to startup again I hold the power button for 20 seconds to release any residual power to the system.
  • I open the side glass panel (if I don’t do this it does not work, why I have no idea. I’m thinking removing the side panel is almost like a reset switch)
  • I put the glass side panel back on and plug the power back into the surge protector
  • I hold windows + B and then hold the power button for 4 seconds release the power button and keyboard, hear the fans slow down and the system starts up.
  • Again I’ve done this everyday for over 2 months and it works every time 🤦🏻‍♂️
Since it’s all stock from HP I can’t imagine it’s a hardware issue.

So first is there anything else I can do to fix the BIOS error so I can startup normal?
What exactly does skipping BIOS do and is it bad for the system?

As strange as it sounds with the global shortage of GPU’s and the price I got this system for I don’t mind doing this forever if I have to. I’m just dumbfounded by what this process and what it is I’m exactly doing and I guess more surprised then anything else that this works.

Thanks so much for any help and comments

Solution
this is the opposite of what my thoughts would be.

there are many threads started all over every day about the issue users are facing with many of these prebuilt systems.
the cause usually being the manufacturers using sub-par components to save money; cheap power supplies, cheap RAM, cheap drives, cheap motherboards, etc...
half of the customers i've ever had were those requesting help with these types of system's failed hardware.

you may get a top rated CPU and GPU and maybe a flashy case but the rest is usually just a bit over garbage level product.

if the system is still under warranty, just RMA for a replacement.
you do not want to go manipulating the...
this is the opposite of what my thoughts would be.

there are many threads started all over every day about the issue users are facing with many of these prebuilt systems.
the cause usually being the manufacturers using sub-par components to save money; cheap power supplies, cheap RAM, cheap drives, cheap motherboards, etc...
half of the customers i've ever had were those requesting help with these types of system's failed hardware.

you may get a top rated CPU and GPU and maybe a flashy case but the rest is usually just a bit over garbage level product.

if the system is still under warranty, just RMA for a replacement.
you do not want to go manipulating the hardware if it is still under warranty because you will likely void any coverage.
is there anything else I can do to fix the BIOS error so I can startup normal?
What exactly does skipping BIOS do and is it bad for the system?
a BIOS error is usually signalling that another component is malfunctioning like memory, CPU, etc.

"skipping" the BIOS has no negative affect whatsoever.
all the BIOS is is a series of instructions for the system to follow.
once they are in place the BIOS does not need to be accessed at all and the system should load straight to your operating system.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 8, 2021
Thank you very much for your reply. I do see a lot of problems involving prebuilt PCs so I’m sure you are right about the components being subpar. I appreciate the help with letting me know it’s not damaging anything by me bypassing the BIOS startup. Another thing I’m wondering if it’s because I’m using my TV currently as my monitor. It is a 65” 4K with a 144 mhz refresh rate but I really wonder if that’s the issue as well rather then having a legitimate monitor. Maybe a disconnect between the gpu and the television?

I couldn’t get a straight answer from even the people at HP call center or their forums. It runs really well so I guess I’m just going to do what I’m continuing to do for the foreseeable future. I don’t feel like sending it in and waiting or have them come up with something to make me pay more money. I don’t want to sound unsatisfied but it’s honestly crossed my mind that this may be the reason it was on sale. The gpu although the lower end of the 30 series is still almost as much as I paid for the entire system. Maybe it had this underlying issue and they knew I’d have to bring it in for additional work. At least I found a way to work around it I guess.

Thanks again!