[SOLVED] Help! PC Wont post after trying to memtest individual stick of RAM

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018
Hi All,

Due to some instability issues like failure in prime95 tests and random freeze reboots in my pc build which was working fine for the past 1 year, I decided to rule out my RAM by doing a Memtest. I tested them together passed Memtest86 and HCI Memtest with no issues. Then I tested one stick of RAM on A2 slot and removed the other stick which was in B2 slot. Cleared Memtest with no issues.
Then I moved on to the second stick, removed the 1st stick from A2 and put the second one which was previously in B2, into slot A1.

The problems started from this point. The PC would turn on and off 3 to 4 times and then successfully post and boot into windows after seemingly resetting bios. I tried enabling XMP on that 1 stick of RAM again and PC would turn on and off 3-4 times yet again. I thought maybe this stick of RAM is bad. So I put the first stick which cleared Memtest before into A1 and even that did the exact same thing. So in panic I put both the sticks of RAM back into their original position A2/B2 and the fan and lights would stay on with the CPU Fan in full speed but PC wouldn't post. So I decided to do a hard bios reset from the CMOS jumper. PC Booted fine into windows at stock settings (no XMP). I then tried to enable XMP and again same thing happens, the fan and lights would stay on with the CPU Fan in full speed but PC wouldn't post with DRAM debug LED lit up. Finally only thing I could think of now was to clear cmos via the battery. Took out the battery for a minute or two and put it back. PC Still wont post with lights on and fan at full speed. No display, gpu light turn on.

Things I have tried.
reset bios settings in bios
clear cmos via jumper
clear cmos via battery
try to boot with one stick

Nothing is helping the pc to post. Im all out of ideas. I only know the problems started because I moved my second stick of RAM to A1 slot to test individually and that probably messed something up. Please suggest what can I do to fix this.
RAM
Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
X570 Aorus Ultra Motherboard
RTX 2060 Super FE
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 2x8GB 3600mhz CL17
1x 250GB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1x 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1x 2TB Seagate barracuda 5400rpm HDD
Corsair RM750 2019 PSU

Solution
Was the computer unplugged when you removed the motherboard battery?
Double check the RAM sticks metal contacts are clean and there is no dirt in the RAM slots.
You can also try booting with the 2 mechanical HDD's disconnected.

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018
Was the computer unplugged when you removed the motherboard battery?
Double check the RAM sticks metal contacts are clean and there is no dirt in the RAM slots.
You can also try booting with the 2 mechanical HDD's disconnected.
Yes it was unplugged with the psu switch flipped to the off position. also pressed the power button few times to drain caps. ok I will check and clean the RAM. Do i clean it with air or just brush it off with my finger?
So I should boot with just one OS Drive?

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018
I would clean the RAM with a cloth.
Yes, just boot with your SSD.
Well it was the dust after all. cleaned the ram metal contacts from any dust and also blew off the dust from the ram slots. and reinserted the RAM. PC posts and boots into windows. XMP working great too. did not expect this was the reason at all lol.
Now I am doing a memtest just to be sure. Thank you for your suggestion!

Reactions: rocktalkrock