[SOLVED] Help troubleshooting PC turning off right away after cpu upgrade

Sep 17, 2020
today I upgraded my cpu from an i5-7400 to an i7-9700k. After installing my new cpu and hooking up my new cooler (cooler master 212 evo) I went to boot up my pc. It will power cycle then turn off instantly. I thought it might have been the cooler so I put my stock Intel cooler back on and I received the same results. I then put my i5 back in the cpu slot because I thought I might have damaged some of the pins on the motherboard so I was testing if my i5 still worked. I powered it up and it worked just fine. Any ideas why my i7 isn’t working? I updated my bios but that didn’t help. I was wondering if I needed to upgrade my power supply. I have a 600w psu powering an Intel core i5(precious, now trying with the i7), GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SATA hdd

Sep 17, 2020
Hello and welcome

Which exact MOBO and PSU do you have?

Did you buy the i7 used or new?
Inspect it for damage regardless
Thanks for the welcome! Give me about 5 minutes and I can get that information for you
Hello and welcome

I have an EVGA 600b bronze
Hello and welcome

I have an EVGA 600b bronze power supply. My mobo is a gigabyte H110M-M2-CF.
I bought the processor brand new. I can’t see anything that jumps right out at me but then again I’m not exactly sure what to be looking for. I compared it to my i5 and it doesn’t seem anything is damaged

Sep 17, 2020
I didn’t even think about mobo compatibility, thank you! Do you have any suggestions for an upgrade? I’m planning on upgrading tony gpu when the 30 series drops and I’d also like 4 ram slots. If you can’t think of anything that’s okay, you’ve been an amazing help
Sure, can you tell me what country you live in (availability)
What is your budget?
What special needs do you have, if any (what will you use the pc for, do you need usb-c, is superior audio important etc)

Sep 17, 2020
Sure, can you tell me what country you live in (availability)
What is your budget?
What special needs do you have, if any (what will you use the pc for, do you need usb-c, is superior audio important etc)
  1. U.S.
  2. I’m hoping to spend less than $150 but I can go higher if needed
I mainly use the pc for gaming, I won’t need any usb-c or on board WiFi.

I would recommend the Z390 gigabyte aorus pro for versatility and build quality

it also OC's very well, given that you have a K version

Best you can do is to start a new thread with an appropriate title, and more people will be along with recommendations
just post your system specs, what you plan to use the pc for, that you are US based and your budget :)

Sep 17, 2020
I would recommend the Z390 gigabyte aorus pro for versatility and build quality

it also OC's very well, given that you have a K version

Best you can do is to start a new thread with an appropriate title, and more people will be along with recommendations
just post your system specs, what you plan to use the pc for, that you are US based and your budget :)
The funny thing is that is exactly what I bought yesterday! Hopefully when it comes in everything will work and I won't have to bug you with more questions :p I appreciate all your help!

Reactions: Quanticriver