Help with Inspiron 1520 Microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirawesome

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2005
I have been having problems with both the built in microphone and any headset that I plug into my laptop. I have been looking through windows but it doesn't seem to recognize the built in microphone anymore and doesn’t want to recognize the headset I plug in either. When I plug in my headset I normally got the beep that I plug something in, and a window would pop up asking what I wanted to use that jack for, and I always selected the mic. option. I have tried looking for new/updated audio drivers but haven’t found any on the dell website.
And just for laughs I emailed dell support and they told me to make sure my web cam was also working properly, only problem was that I don’t have a webcam. So after I told them that they told me I needed to do a factory restore/ clean install of vista. Worthless, what should I expect I guess.
I really appreciate your guy help with this.
Thanks!!!

sirawesome

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2005
Thanks for the suggestion but there is no exclamation marks on anything in the device manager. I also tried reinstalling the default audio driver and that made no difference what so ever, still have same problem.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

G

Hellooo, I also need help with the microphone of my laptop dell 1520 with windows vista, the mic had work before, but know it dosen't... and i can't use neither skype or msn!!
please can someone tell what to do!!! :(
Thanks!

PFFlyer

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Dell Microphone not recognized (Inspiron 1520)
They forgot to load the drivers. Duh!

I kept looking & could not find the sigmatel audio device anywhere, so was completely confused. Every time someone said to "click on sigmatel" or "click on microphone" those were missing. Most everything was missing. ARRGGHH!! So I googled & searched for sigmatel (the audio driver) on the Dell support site.

If you are missing everything they tell you to try, You may need to download the driver: go to

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R171786&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=235779

Worked for me, & I wish you the best of luck.

fabianmejia

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Thanks a lot PFFlyer!,

I installed the Audio drivers from the Dell support page, but microphones never vorwked. I thought my computer didn't have mics, but sometimes I doubt it because I spent a lot of money choosing the highest configuration.

Lately I checked on the Internet and I found this page. I just followed the link you posted and, voila! I have mics now.

FYI, before installing the driver, my speaker tray Icon said:
"SigmaTel Audio"

After that it says
"SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC"

Again, thanks a lot! Now, I can talk to my brother in Quebec face to face!

Fabian Mejia
fabianmejia.blogspot.com

goskel01

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I have been SO frustrated with my darn computer and its mic system and your suggestions fixed it in 5 Minutes. You've made my day!! Thank You!!

G

Thanks man!!!! You solved my problem in 5 mins. Your solution works.

terry_33

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I was really excited to find these posts as this is exactly the problem we have had with the Dell 1520. However, when I try to download the mic driver, I repeatedly get the message "session data is corrupt. Please go to drivers & downdoads to select file again R171786.exe" What am I doing wrong? Since Dell doesn't help you - I would really appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS