gareththegiant

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi I am hoping someone can help me.

I have recently started a new gigafast contract with vodaphone in the UK. This provides me with fibre to the house. The Fibre converter is a Gigapoint 801GV2 (https://images.app.goo.gl/qyBYCwcig6TdRSRe7 image of the ports) this has an ethernet port (RJ45).

I have a Netgear DM200 that I was using before I got FTH but this has only got LAN and VDSL which wont work as the cable coming out of the converter is RJ45. I have an ASUS RT-3200 as my router. I do not wish to use the router/modem supplied by vodaphone and was wondering if there are any recommendations for a modem that will work fine with the router and will work with the fibre converter.

Solution
Check Vodaphone's website.

There should be a list of fiber optic modems that they support.

Check the routers also. If you have unsupported devices, Vodaphone will most likely blame any problems on your network devices.

Then, provided that you decide to purchase one of those routers you would install it, turn off its' DHCP functions and then connect to your Asus RT-3200 as normal.

Current (Vodaphone setup)

Vodaphone --- fiber optic cable ----> Vodaphone modem/router ---- Ethernet cables ----> Network wired devices. And ~~~~ wireless ~~~ > Network wireless devices.

Your plan:

Vodaphone ---fiber optic cable ---> Fiber converter -- Ethernet cable ---> Your own new modem ----Ethernet cable ---> Your Asus...

Ralston18

Titan
Check Vodaphone's website.

There should be a list of fiber optic modems that they support.

Check the routers also. If you have unsupported devices, Vodaphone will most likely blame any problems on your network devices.

Then, provided that you decide to purchase one of those routers you would install it, turn off its' DHCP functions and then connect to your Asus RT-3200 as normal.

Current (Vodaphone setup)

Vodaphone --- fiber optic cable ----> Vodaphone modem/router ---- Ethernet cables ----> Network wired devices. And ~~~~ wireless ~~~ > Network wireless devices.

Your plan:

Vodaphone ---fiber optic cable ---> Fiber converter -- Ethernet cable ---> Your own new modem ----Ethernet cable ---> Your Asus RT-3200 Router ---- Ethernet cables ---> Network wired devices. And ~~~ wireless ~~~> Network wireless devices.

Edit and correct my line diagrams as necessary.

Solution

gareththegiant

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
quick update. all sorted now. it turns out the GPON converter is happy enough to work as a sort of modem. i was able to plug my asus straight into it. all i needed was the pppoe username and password and to vlan tag it to 911