Jul 23, 2024
Hi all, this one is a bit of a doozy. I've posted it on reddit but figured it best to spread a wide net to hopefully find a solution the problem that has been plaguing me since the morning of the 21st of July. I'm still trudging through possible fixes myself but I'd be really grateful to get some help with it. I'll put my build parts at the bottom for relevance.

I have an A770 that often times will not work in the x16 slot. It won't show a signal to the monitor - which is plugged into the GPU, I'm certain. The no signal is entirely random but will pop up after restarting or shutting down if it does show a signal.

The GPU is fine - it works fine in the x1 slot, but I'd rather have it in the x16 for the greater performance,

I have tried resetting the BIOS, updating the BIOS, taking out the CMOS, resetting BIOS to default and using the JBAT1 pins. I found that I was only using one PCIe splitter cable and now am using two for the GPU to hook it to the PSU. I have taken out the CPU and inspected it, cleaned it, reinserted and reapplied thermal paste.

Ensuring that the GPU is properly seated in the x16 slot and there is no visible deformation or debris in the slot to speak of. Tried power cycling and starting the computer without the monitor plugged in to plug it in later, but that doesn't work either.

I have tried two working monitors and four different cables, an HDMI to HDMI, HDMI to Displayport, and two Displayport to Displayport.

Attempted to update the drivers for the GPU twice. First attempt failed, yielding a default to 2006 drivers which then background updated to ones from 06/19/2024. These were not the latest ones and I found that the latest drivers are of 07/04/024, version 31.0.101.5762 . This didn't fix anything sadly.

Once again the GPU works fine - in the x1 slots. It sometimes works in the x16, but a shutdown or restart yields no signal after that point. I have tried changing the PCI_E1 Lanes config in BIOS as well as the Gen switch, wondering if an improperly seated CPU could cause the GPU to be read as gen 3, but that didn't work either.

The PSU seems to work fine as well, since I have zero issues booting up in the x1 slot. Similarly, the cables running from GPU to PSU are snug and well seated. CPU temps and GPU temps are fine.

The BIOS for my board (MSI B550M VC WIFI) is updated to AMI BIOS 7C95vHC1(Beta version). The version I had when everything worked (as far as last month) was AMI BIOS 7C95vHB. At the moment, my final hope will be to roll back the BIOS and hope that fixes the issue.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Do you have any ideas as to what could be the problem? Thank you.

[Build Parts]

Windows 10 Pro
MSI Optix MAG342CQR
IVANKY VESA Certified DisplayPort Cable, 6.6ft DP Cable 1.2, [4K@60Hz, 2K@165Hz
PRO B550M VC WIFI (MS7C95)
TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4-25600
SPARKLE Intel Arc A770 TITAN OC Edition, 16GB GDDR6
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core, 12-Thread
Crucial MX5001TB 3D NAND Internal SATA 2.5" Solid State Drive
Corsair RM750e 750 watt