Jun 29, 2024
Hey guys !
I have a question that has been bugging me from a past few days. I've provided the link to my Disk Management page and it shows all partitions that are currently available.
My primary concern is not to mess up the Recovery Partitions.
As you can see in the picture there is a partition of (1005mb) labelled as "Healthy recovery partition".
There is another partition with a bigger size named "Restore" (19.50 GB) labelled as "Healthy(Basic Data Partition)" . I'm able to access this partition as it has been assigned the drive letter "D".
My question is this really a "restore" partition that has important files necessary for the os/boot/whatever. if it is , shouldn't it normally be a hidden or un-accessible partition. If it doesn't contain any important files , how do i reset, reformat the drive and set up a healthy recovery partition so that my system isnt left unusable if there is any problem with the os. I dual boot my sys with Linux as well so that's the other unallocated partition where i was planning to re install a Linux based os.
I'm sure the 1005mb partition is a recovery partition as is not accessible and is labelled properly. But what kind of recovery partition is that ? is it different from a normal recovery partition as its size is much much lesser than that is usually used for recovery or restoration.

Link To the Picture : https://bashify.io/i/0CNyBs

Thanks in Advance !
Also forgive me for bad English or grammatical errors I may have made, English isn't my first language.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey guys !
I have a question that has been bugging me from a past few days. I've provided the link to my Disk Management page and it shows all partitions that are currently available.
My primary concern is not to mess up the Recovery Partitions.
As you can see in the picture there is a partition of (1005mb) labelled as "Healthy recovery partition".
There is another partition with a bigger size named "Restore" (19.50 GB) labelled as "Healthy(Basic Data Partition)" . I'm able to access this partition as it has been assigned the drive letter "D".
My question is this really a "restore" partition that has important files necessary for the os/boot/whatever. if it is , shouldn't it normally be a hidden or un-accessible partition. If it doesn't contain any important files , how do i reset, reformat the drive and set up a healthy recovery partition so that my system isnt left unusable if there is any problem with the os. I dual boot my sys with Linux as well so that's the other unallocated partition where i was planning to re install a Linux based os.
I'm sure the 1005mb partition is a recovery partition as is not accessible and is labelled properly. But what kind of recovery partition is that ? is it different from a normal recovery partition as its size is much much lesser than that is usually used for recovery or restoration.

Link To the Picture : https://bashify.io/i/0CNyBs

Thanks in Advance !
Also forgive me for bad English or grammatical errors I may have made, English isn't my first language.
Step 1. DON'T mess with partitions unless you are prepared to lose everything.
Step 2. See step 1.

What are you trying to do? Is this a laptop or desktop? Can you not occasionally boot Linux from USB ?

My question is this really a "restore" partition that has important files necessary for the os/boot/whatever.
It most likely contains image of OS partition and can be used to restore OS to state, when restore partition was created.
if it is , shouldn't it normally be a hidden or un-accessible partition.
Yes. It should be hidden. User should not be messing with it, if you want to keep restore functionality.
Just remove drive letter D : from RESTORE partition.
If it doesn't contain any important files , how do i reset, reformat the drive and set up a healthy recovery partition so that my system isnt left unusable if there is any problem with the os.
That's up to you to decide, if restore functionality is important to you.
You could delete restore partition and use reclaimed drive space for some other purposes.
I'm sure the 1005mb partition is a recovery partition as is not accessible and is labelled properly. But what kind of recovery partition is that ?
That is standard windows recovery partition. It houses windows recovery environment.
Can be used for some diagnostics and system recovery purposes.

Jun 29, 2024
It most likely contains image of OS partition and can be used to restore OS to state, when restore partition was created.
yes, that's what i was expecting it to be.
Yes. It should be hidden. User should not be messing with it, if you want to keep restore functionality.
Just remove drive letter D : from RESTORE partition.
I did not assign the letter to this drive. at first it wasn't visible i.e it was a hidden partition. but i had to reinstall windows aa few times and i think since then the disk had popped up. Can you tell me how i can remove the assigned letter D and will just removing the "d" fix it ? Like , will it be accessible by the os recovery if my sys runs into any error.
That's up to you to decide, if restore functionality is important to you.
You could delete restore partition and use reclaimed drive space for some other purposes.
no, im not looking to use the drive i just want to restore it o what it was made for.
That is standard windows recovery partition. It houses windows recovery environment.
Can be used for some diagnostics and system recovery purposes.
Awesome. That was really helpful.

Jun 29, 2024
Step 1. DON'T mess with partitions unless you are prepared to lose everything.
Step 2. See step 1.

What are you trying to do? Is this a laptop or desktop? Can you not occasionally boot Linux from USB ?
Im not a noob , i have experience working on partitions on windows and different linux based dist like Redhat, ubuntu and Kali. It just that this is the first time ive come across this problem. And my knowledge in the windows recovery field is arguable. Also i mentioned that as there was an empty unallocated partition the picture i have posted and i will be using it so i didnt want to confuse you. i probably shouldve left that out xD.

Can you tell me how i can remove the assigned letter D and will just removing the "d" fix it ?
Use Disk Management.
Same way, you assign or change drive letter, you can remove it also.
Also i mentioned that as there was an empty unallocated partition the picture i have posted
Unallocated space is not a partition. It is absence of partitions/data/anything.

Jun 29, 2024
Use Disk Management.
Same way, you assign or change drive letter, you can remove it also.
Hey ! ~ So i couldn't do it on disk manager as the only option it gave me when i right clicked was help. But i tried it on diskpart and was able to un-assign the letter and mountpoint . My question is , will this now work normally. how can i check that the partition is being used for its purpose . Isn't it supposed to be labelled as "recovery" in disk manager.
Link to the pic after i unassigned the drive letter : https://bashify.io/i/F490KC
Unallocated space is not a partition. It is absence of partitions/data/anything.
Ah I see. Thanks for your reply :)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2024
You invoke restore functionality ans see, if it works properly.

But you loose all your user data and all installed software on drive C: .
System gets restored to moment, when RESTORE partition was created. :giggle:
Awesome. I'll consider it as "fixed" and move on as i have restored my windows a couple of times and its worked properly.

Last edited: