queue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
gud day..

i just build a new system for a friend of mine..

everything went fine but after we have moved the unit from my place to his place it keeps on hanging on the fiorst boot.. you need to restart the system to become stable...

so i ask him to bring the unit back to my place and we tested it..
it was good.. no problem at all so he brought it back home and the problem is back again i've even reformat..

so we brought to our friends house (coz my place is quite far) to troubleshoot but to our surprise it shows no problem..
and to make the story short we returned the unit to my friends house and the problem also returned... and it got worse sometimes when we even got the blue screen...

i just dont know whats the problem anymore... the problem only occurs in my friends house..

here's the spec of my friends computer..
intel E4500
MSI G31
corsair value select 1G
8400GS
western digital HDD

hope you can help me guys ..
big thanks in advance...

queue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
he only uses the system for word processing... he's budget was about $400...

is there any possibility that hes monitor is causing the problem??
when we tested it on at my place we use CRT, and there was no prob..

my friend owns a samsung 920NW.. the problem only occurs in his place...

yeah maybe we'll try to plug it in another room..

tnx a lot...

akhilles

Splendid
I'm not sure what you mean by hanging on 1st boot? if you mean the POST hangs on cold boot. it happens to some pc's. At least to one of my amd rig.

You can try each of the ram sticks in each of the slots. Usually, if a previously-working pc hangs at POST, the bios settings may be messed up. Particularly the ram settings. It may also be a peripheral like a USB card reader.

If you mean Windows loads, but the screen is blank the whole time. It may be the monitor that needs to be reset. Especially if it was on D-SUB, then switched to DVI. Unplug it for 5 mins, power off pc, hook up DVI, power on pc, turn on the lcd.

queue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
thnks akhilles...

it boots to windows but it freezes when loading the desktop then i have to press the reset button then it will boot normally (then i can use the PC normally until i play warcraft3 it gives me a blue screen after minutes of playing)..

i try to switch the slot for the ram..

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If you only have problems at his place and no where else then it has to be something that's getting changed when you bring it to his house. Bring your monitor to his house. That leaves power... or the vortex created by his neighbors trans-warp coil.

queue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
the only thing that is changed when we're at his house is the monitor and the power outlet..i'll my monitor first to his house... the if everything is ok, maybe there a problem with the power connection in his house...

thanks a lot guys... you've been a lot of help.. this is the first time i've encountered a computer problem like this...

akhilles

Splendid
Well, if Windows freezes up at the splash screen (windows logo & scroll bar), it's probably drivers from incorrect installs or previous Windows install. A clean install may fix this. If Windows freezes up at logon/welcome screen, it's probably something else like security software, etc.

Check your bios ram settiings. Up the vdimm by a notch.

I'd be inclined to suspect a power or grounding problem. If it is in fact location-specific (doesn't work on your monitor at his house), look for environmental factors. Does the neighbor operate a radio transmitter (in addition to the warp core, that is)?

queue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
the dimm voltage is already @ 1.9V (this was the default voltage), maybe i'll try to lower it to 1.8, what you think?

i can see the desktop during the first boot, i can even move the mouse pointer but i can click anything..

i'll ask my friend about any radio transmitter in their area..

thanks guys...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Lowering the Vdimm from 1.9V to 1.8V won't make it more stable.

When you move the machine to the working locations are you using the same keyboard and mouse? If not, change them and test.

queue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007

nope, we use different keyboard and mouse..

i've already tried all the prev. suggestions and i still have the same problem..

thanks for the help guys.. i'll try changing the mouse and the keyboard this time...

queue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
thnx for the help guyz.. we still cant figure out wats wrong with the unit..
anyway my friend gave up he says as long as he could use the unit its fine hehehe.

thnx again guys...