rednal16

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
So recently I bought and built my first gaming PC after debating to buy it for a few months. It's essentially finished, I just need to receive and install windows. My plan was to hook up my PC to the port that I thought was Ethernet in my room. My uncle told me a few days ago, however, that it wasn't an Ethernet port but a phone port so he said I would probably need a wireless connection. Personally, I hate wireless especially with gaming because of the lag that is noticeable for me. I have been looking for alternate ways to getting a wired connection and found this . From my understanding, I can get a wired connection by plugging this into a wall outlet in my room. Is that correct? I live in the basement and the routers on the floor above me if that helps. Thanks,
Ryan

Yes those will work better than wireless in most cases. But the key here is MOST, powerline devices are very dependent on the pathing of the electrical wiring in the house and if there are devices that interfere....like a vacuum cleaner.

Make sure you buy them from a place that will take a return if they do not work at all.

You may be able to use the phone wiring. You will need a minimum of 4 wires and it needs to be the right kind of wire. You very well could get 10m to over even poor quality wire. It costs very little to try, in most cases it would just be building a non standard plug that has RJ45 on one end and rj11 on the other. Now if it is the old red,green,yellow,black type cable that is unlikely to work but if it looks like lan cable it very well may be cat 3 cable. Many houses built in the last 10 years may even have cat 5 cable just because it cost about the same as cat3.

rednal16

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Since Amazon has a 30 day return policy, do you think I should buy the adapter and try it? If it works, would it be good for gaming? How does it compare to a regular wired connection and a wireless connection in most cases?

It depends how you compare them. Many times you only get 50m/sec out of them so it is much slower than 1G or even 100m ethernet cable but this is still far faster than most people internet and much more than any game uses.

The key advantage over wireless is that it is much less susceptible to interference. Wireless is so crowded now days that you get signal almost every neighbor you have. Games in particular really have problems with packet loss and delay because of interference. You never really know about wireless it will work fine one minute and then have trouble the next and you can never figure out what caused the interference...could be a microwave,baby monitor, or someone driving by with a wireless devices that just happened to cause a issue.