Sep 14, 2020
So, I am new to building a PC and was wondering if someone could help me understand if the good components I picked out are compatible (I am also trying to keep the price at around $1400-1700,),
CPU: Amazon.com: Intel Core i7-10700K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.1 GHz Unlocked LGA1200 (Intel 400 Series Chipset) 125W (BX8070110700K): Computers & Accessories
Motherboard: Amazon.com: Asus Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Gigabit LAN: Computers & Accessories
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2PK 8GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting Black CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 - Best Buy
GPU: GTX 3070 (hasn't been released yet)
SSD: Amazon.com: addlink S70 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe 3x4 M.2 2280 Internal Solid State Drive Read 3,400MB/s/Write 3,000MB/s: Computers & Accessories
PSU: Amazon.com: MasterWatt 750 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply for Computers: Computers & Accessories
OS: Amazon.com: Microsoft OEM Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, 1-Pack, DVD: Software
Computer Shell: Amazon.com: MUSETEX Phantom Black ATX Mid-Tower Desktop Computer Gaming Case USB 3.0 Ports Tempered Glass Windows with 6pcs 120mm LED RGB Fans Pre-Installed(903-S6): Computers & Accessories
Also, as a little P.S. if some parts aren't compatible could you give me similar hardware that would keep the price between $1400-$1700.
P.P.S. Could also tell me how many USB ports I would get, how many extra RAM slots i would get, and if it game with a aux or like headphone jack.

Solution
Keeping in mind you also need a CPU cooler, I'd suggest something like this (not a build set in stone, just an idea):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($393.89 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490M GAMING X Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($550.00)...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Z390 does not support PCIe 4 which the 3000 GPU is. You're not getting what you paid for.

If you want GTX 3000 Series then you must get a PCIe 4 compatible board. Go AMD and X570.

Yes & No.
More specifically, the i7-10700K doesn't support PCIe 4. Rumour has it, Z390 will with the next Intel release.

Potentially a moot point regardless.... Highly unlikely a 3070 will exhaust PCIe 3.0 x16 bandwidth.

OP, looks like you're missing a CPU cooler?

Overall (+cooler), the build should 'work;.... but it's not really the best use of funds.
The PSU isn;t great, the case looks to be a complete hotbox, the SSD looks to be an off-brand.... and the i7 isn't really the best value these days - Although it is a very good gaming CPU.

Where are you located?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Z390 does not support PCIe 4 which the 3000 GPU is. You're not getting what you paid for.

If you want GTX 3000 Series then you must get a PCIe 4 compatible board. Go AMD and X570.

Naw, PCIe 3 is more than enough. PCIe 4 won't really be necessary until we're gaming comfortably in 8k at high refresh rates. Intel hasn't implemented it yet because they see no point as of yet.

Sep 14, 2020
Yes & No.
More specifically, the i7-10700K doesn't support PCIe 4. Rumour has it, Z390 will with the next Intel release.

Potentially a moot point regardless.... Highly unlikely a 3070 will exhaust PCIe 3.0 x16 bandwidth.

OP, looks like you're missing a CPU cooler?

Overall (+cooler), the build should 'work;.... but it's not really the best use of funds.
The PSU isn;t great, the case looks to be a complete hotbox, the SSD looks to be an off-brand.... and the i7 isn't really the best value these days - Although it is a very good gaming CPU.

Where are you located?
You say it’s not the best use of funds what do you recommend for the core, SSD, Case, Motherboard, and PSU that can sit within the price range. I am located in Cherokee, Georgia. Also, chose the case because it has fans built in, it is listed in the pictures and description.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So, do you think I would have to get a different motherboard or Core?

Combo is fine. Regarding SSD, go for a known brand like Samsung, Intel, Crucial, Western Digital, ones that have been in the business a lot longer.

PSU, think the one you picked out is listed under Tier C, MWE V1 Bronze [MPX], model number from Amazon MPX-7501-AMAAB-US. Not sure on this though.

PSU list here;

I'd go for something listed in the top tier.

Sep 14, 2020
Combo is fine. Regarding SSD, go for a known brand like Samsung, Intel, Crucial, Western Digital, ones that have been in the business a lot longer.

PSU, think the one you picked out is listed under Tier C, MWE V1 Bronze [MPX], model number from Amazon MPX-7501-AMAAB-US. Not sure on this though.

PSU list here;

I'd go for something listed in the top tier.
I’m sorry for the big lot of questions, but do you think the case is fine, it says it comes with a bunch of fans in the build. Should I choose a new case and get fans separate? Also, what is the recommended PSU Watts for running a game like Modern Warfare?

Sep 14, 2020
So, going with the i7 core, Ax850, Multi fan case, Corsair Ram, GTX 3070, better ssd, and Asus z390 the computer should run well right? Also, I will need about 4 usb slots and a way to have multiple monitors, will the stuff I have right now suit those needs?

Jul 12, 2020
So, going with the i7 core, Ax850, Multi fan case, Corsair Ram, GTX 3070, better ssd, and Asus z390 the computer should run well right? Also, I will need about 4 usb slots and a way to have multiple monitors, will the stuff I have right now suit those needs?
Wait a second, your processor is a 10th gen i7 right? If so why are you getting a z390 board? z390 is for 8th and 9th gen processors, you should get a z490 board, I would suggest the mag z490 tomahawk from msi.

Reactions: Barty1884 and boju

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Wait a second, your processor is a 10th gen i7 right? If so why are you getting a z390 board? z390 is for 8th and 9th gen processors, you should get a z490 board, I would suggest the mag z490 tomahawk from msi.

Wow, can't believe I missed that too! @FirstMateGrayson , just making sure you saw this!

I think case is fine, not sure what Barty meant.

I meant exactly what I said:
the case looks to be a complete hotbox

810L8l39YQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Tempered Glass front & side will have pretty terrible airflow - You can stick as many fans as you want directly up against glass, and there's only ever going to be one winner.

Yes, there's a vent on the front panel sides, but there's two main problems with that:
1. All fans will struggle to pull the air around a 90' bend and maintain airflow - Let alone some pretty cheap 'included' fans. Consider it's a ~$110 case including 6 fans..... Considering TG construction, you're probably looking at comparatively a ~$70 case, minimum (Think Mattrexx with no fans), meaning 6x 120mm fans total (at most), ~$40. Price isn't everything, of course.... but if it walks like a duck....

2. Look where the fans are mounted in the image(s) - And I suspect ship that way. They're 'inside' the front panel, behind the honeycomb plastic. They're not inside the main chassis body. So you're not even looking at fans having to turn air 90', they have to do the impossible - pull air through their own plastic frame before feeding it into the case.

....Therefore, hotbox.

There's 380mm GPU length clearance, so you should mount the fans inside the case, rather than inside the front panel.....but that's going to eat into your aesthetic somewhat, as you'll see the base tooling for the case - The structural crossbars, the screw mounting holes etc... and less RGB seen from the front panel.

All in all, not a case I'd buy personally.
In the $1400-$1700 budget, there's probably room for something better.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, can't believe I missed that too! @FirstMateGrayson , just making sure you saw this!

Tempered Glass front & side will have pretty terrible airflow - You can stick as many fans as you want directly up against glass, and there's only ever going to be one winner.

Yes, there's a vent on the front panel sides, but there's two main problems with that:
1. All fans will struggle to pull the air around a 90' bend and maintain airflow - Let alone some pretty cheap 'included' fans. Consider it's a ~$110 case including 6 fans..... Considering TG construction, you're probably looking at comparatively a ~$70 case, minimum (Think Mattrexx with no fans), meaning 6x 120mm fans total (at most), ~$40. Price isn't everything, of course.... but if it walks like a duck....

2. Look where the fans are mounted in the image(s) - And I suspect ship that way. They're 'inside' the front panel, behind the honeycomb plastic. They're not inside the main chassis body. So you're not even looking at fans having to turn air 90', they have to do the impossible - pull air through their own plastic frame before feeding it into the case.

....Therefore, hotbox.

There's 380mm GPU length clearance, so you should mount the fans inside the case, rather than inside the front panel.....but that's going to eat into your aesthetic somewhat, as you'll see the base tooling for the case - The structural crossbars, the screw mounting holes etc... and less RGB seen from the front panel.

Thanks for the effort here. Honestly didn't know there was a glass panel there, just seen the amount of fans. I've always been one for airflow but recent talks with RL about negative air pressure, im starting to wonder. Limited ventilation most likely be enough with this case. Not that i'd see it be from what im used to but the way heat is supposedly sucked more effectively than pushed, maybe forced air isn't so efficient after all.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thanks for the effort here. Honestly didn't know there was a glass panel there, just seen the amount of fans. I've always been one for airflow but recent talks with RL about negative air pressure, im starting to wonder. Limited ventilation most likely be enough with this case. Not that i'd see it be from what im used to but the way heat is supposedly sucked more effectively than pushed, maybe forced air isn't so efficient after all.

Negative pressure still pulls air in from somewhere..... each/ever opening, no matter how small. So yes, it can be beneficial - but if you look at it from a negative pressure sense in this specific scenario, the biggest gaps to pull in from would be the front edge opening. Where three fans edges impede that flow.

From a negative pressure viewpoint, you'd probably be better off with no fans on the front panel 🤣

I'd consider fans mounted inside the chassis, allowing air to turn 90' to be 'limited'. Choke that off, and it's likely to be worse than that.

I lean more to 'positive' than 'negative', generally - but there's definitely negative implementations that work (see NZXTs H510 as an example). I'm extremely doubtful this is one case where it makes much sense.... Although I'm sure my thoughts are pretty clear at this point, and I could be wrong.

Sep 14, 2020

....Therefore, hotbox.

Do you have any suggestions for a case and how many fans I should get?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Keeping in mind you also need a CPU cooler, I'd suggest something like this (not a build set in stone, just an idea):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($393.89 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490M GAMING X Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($550.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1740.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-15 12:06 EDT-0400

3x 120mm RGB fans included, mesh front panel & a 240mm AIO with RGB too (which can be mounted up top).

I added an extra $50 to the MSRP of the 3070, because AIB cards will likely be a little higher ($550-$600 probably), just to give you an idea.

Quality components throughout. You could make some tweaks (MB, RAM, SSD config to maybe 500GB + HDD, ..... Or even consider switching to AMD) but this gives you an idea.

Solution