MOBO: MSI Krait gaming 3x
CPU: i5- 6600k
GPU: gtx 1060 6gb
Ram: gskill 16 gb 3200 ram
PSU: corsair rm550x
CPU Cooler: corsair h155i platinum
OS Drive: 250gb samsung 850 evo ssd
Mass storage (games mods etc): wd black 2TB and seagate barracuda 2TB

so with that being listed now with what happened my pc ran perfect for about 2 1/2 years it was very fast opened everything fast etc

and i stopped using it for about a month and i decided to play it again and it did not power on at all long story short took it to work since i work at geek squad

and narrowed it down to it being a dead mobo so with msi's 3 year warranty i got it rma now as far as them fixing it or replacing it idk the board has the same serial number but any way i rebuilt the pc and it started right up.

Now this is the part where my excitement for finally having a pc after a month made me stupid i forgot to start with a fresh copy of windows mind you it was like 2 am lol.

so of course the pc ran very slow lagged took forever to open programs when i would shut it off through the windows button it would go to the shutting down screen then it would stop outputting out video but the pc would stay on forcing me to hold the power button to shut it off

. i reinstalled all drivers and even a bios update and made it a little bit better but still ran like crap, so i went to bed. next day with a fresh brain i realized that i needed to preform a fresh install so i got a 1903 iso usb and preformed a fresh install on my os ssd on setup and clicked the advanced option and deleted all the partitions and clicked new which made new partitions for window

idk if this is technically a reformat (which if it isnt this may be my solution). so did all that but i didnt touch my 2 HDD's did all that reinstalled windows all the drivers but i did not reinstall the bios update due to me flashing my bios with the most recent bios update before the fresh install of windows (which can also be a problem) pc runs way better now running faster close to before but still something doesnt feel right

still feels slow and it would shut off and restart fine but last night i clicked the shut off button again and it did the thing were my pc will not shut off after browsing forums some people resolved this issue by replacing the power cable connected to the psu been turning off correctly since which is about 4 shut offs.

the issue im still having is that my pc still has a tendancy to get hung up oppening steam like i click it it doesnt open up like it crashes when i open it i click it multiple time and like a minute later it opens up the other time i tried opening up setting and it got hung up as well also when i used to turn the pc on it used to get going once it was in windows pretty quick

now i have to wait a couple minutes i dont have to many start up services and apps so this is confusing me.

Any ideas suggestions on what to do the next thing im i thinking of is doing another fresh install of windows 10 but this time also deleting everything on my 2 HDD's which i want to avoid at all costs because thats about 3 TB worth of games saved games mods etc

. second question is, is deleting all my partitions on my ssd or hdd's on the windows 10 advanced install screen count as reformatting?

sorry for the super long post lol just trying to give as much info as i can if anyone can help that will be amazing this thing is frying my brain lol THANK YOUU :)

[Moderator note: edited post to break up single wall of text. No other edits made.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
To answer your question about deleting the partitions. No, it is not technically a reformat. But the new install of windows will ignore any old content. I can't remember but windows might actually so a quick format before installing. Never the less, the data is no longer accessible by any conventional means. Hence, this is most likely not your problem.

It sounds like you are on the right trail though. something is happening with your system drive. It seems your SSD read speeds are not what they should be.

Firstly, I would make sure windows is happy and all your drivers are up to date. Secondly, I would dummy check myself. make sure you installed windows on the right drive. I know I have accidentally installed windows on to HDDs...

Mustangf22

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
To answer your question about deleting the partitions. No, it is not technically a reformat. But the new install of windows will ignore any old content. I can't remember but windows might actually so a quick format before installing. Never the less, the data is no longer accessible by any conventional means. Hence, this is most likely not your problem.

It sounds like you are on the right trail though. something is happening with your system drive. It seems your SSD read speeds are not what they should be.

Firstly, I would make sure windows is happy and all your drivers are up to date. Secondly, I would dummy check myself. make sure you installed windows on the right drive. I know I have accidentally installed windows on to HDDs that I didn't intend to.
If you have another PC you can connect a SATA drive to you could test the SSD's performance by writing and copying a large file to it to see what you are getting for actually read and write.

Disclaimer: I don't know that much so take everything I say with a grain of salt....

Solution