The specs are these:
-CPU intel i7 13700kf
-GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC LHR
-Motherboard Gigabyte B660 Gaming AX
-PSU Seasonic G12 GM 750W 80+ Gold
-Ram Corsair Vengeancee PRO 3200 mhz CL 16
-Cooler NZXT Kraken X73
-Storage, 1 TB Kingston, 1TB Samsung SSDs M2
-The case is a mid tower with three fans in front of 140mm intake, one 140mm in the back exhaust, two120mm down intake, and the water cooling on the top exhaust, the 360 nzxt

So now the problem is that the CPU is running hot in everything, in prime 95 on small it goes to 85-90 celsius. In games, for example BF 2042 is around 80 celsius, GTA V goes to mid 70's. I don't know what else can I do.. It might be the motherboard as it was designed for 12 th gen and Bios updated for 13th gen? The CPU is not OC-ed as the motherboard won't let it, the GPU the same.. It is really stressing me out.

LuckyHood

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
It's mounted at the top with the tubes down, and the pump with the tubes pointing down too.
dd8e12b7-c5e9-49e7-bd2d-8933aa43bdae.jpg

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I have a similar configuration in my recent upgrade...i7 12700kf on Asrock Z690 Steel Legend, and I went with the Corsair H170i Elite LCD (mainly because it was the only 420mm AIO Microcenter had that said for sure it fit socket 1700 on the box).
I run stock speeds on DDR4 3200 (4x8), and my CPU typically idles at 28-29 while I'm surfing, and climbs all the way up to 35 c when I'm gaming.
GTA4, GTA5, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout, few others.
Personally I'd freak out if my CPU hit 100c.
I'm thinking either you have a mis-install or a defective cooler. I can't IMAGINE that my H170i runs 50+c cooler than your Kraken.
Maybe try pulling it, cleaning it off, and spreading on a thin layer of some really high quality thermal paste.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Probably not one thing, but a compound of things going on.
1)Can't stress this enough - DON'T run Prime 95 on motherboard defaults/auto settings, or don't run it at all. It's always going to LOOK terrible otherwise.
Also, the Prime 95 settings matter: it should be small FFT, and all AVX options off. If it's not relative to how you use the PC, skip Prime 95 entirely.

2)The preinstalled ARGB/RGB fans for SOME cases out there aren't very capable, in other words, they present a possible airflow problem.
No specs for these fans are available online, so I recommend trying with the front panel and dust filter removed to see if there's a big improvement or not. Leave the other panels as is.

3)Those gaming thermals being reported aren't anything to stress over, IMO. Still well within spec. No two games push hardware the same.
Since the cooler is top exhaust, the primary source of air for it is the case ambient, not the room ambient. When using the gpu, it heats up case ambient, and in turn, the cooler has to work with warmer air.
The rear case exhaust also dukes it out with the closest radiator fan for air.

4)Personal feelings are getting in the way when there isn't a serious problem present. 80C is ok, especially if it's just some spikes here and there.

5)What's this about a 'two120mm down intake'? I can't see it in the picture?
The online specs don't mention anything about that - there is an option for fans to go in the side, but not this 'two 120mm down'.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Sorry, but I take exception to:
4)Personal feelings are getting in the way when there isn't a serious problem present. 80C is ok, especially if it's just some spikes here and there.

As someone who has actually worked in the electronics industry and has had actual training in this field, I know a few things (certainly not EVERYTHING) about electronics. One of the first things you learn when it comes to how electronic components are rated, is that all electronic components' predicted lifespan ratings are given as "XXXXX hours at XX temperature". This is called "MTBF", or, "Mean Time Between Failure". For instance, a certain capacitor might be rated for 50,000 hours at 50c. That same capacitor's life span will be dramatically impacted by its average lifespan operating temperature. While it might do 50,000 hours at 50c, it might do 30,000 hours at 60c, it might do 20,000 hours at 70c, and it might do 80,000 hours at 30c.

Component lifespan being inversely proportional to temperature is something well known in the electronics industry.

And it should come as no surprise to anyone here that the less life a component has in it, the sooner you'll be rushing out to purchase another one after it fails.

You'd have to be touched in the head to think Intel (or AMD) doesn't realize this. And if you think it behooves a modern chipmaker's business model if our CPUS last 20 years, you're more than a little delusional. To wit, Intel has NO PROBLEM telling you that it's FINE to run their chips at 80c, 90c. NO PROBLEM. IT'LL WORK JUST FINE.

Just forget you're cutting it's lifespan in half. THEY'LL KEEP SELLING MORE. Right?

It's not "personal feelings" that get in the way of this reality. It's cold, hard, scientific FACT.
The COOLER a component runs, the LONGER it will last. PERIOD.
I would swear this creed before my very creator.

So if you all want to follow "Intel's recommendations" and let your cpus run at 75, 80, 85, 90c, all because that's "within spec", GO FOR IT. Intel would be MORE than happy to sell you a new one in a few years. Personally? What I know about electronics tells me this is a recipe for disaster (and if "disaster" sounds like hyperbole, then let's just go with "financially irresponsible"). So I'll endeavor to keep my cpu, gpu, and any other electronic component in my care as COOL as possible. I can only hope you good folks that don't have unlimited resources to keep buying new stuff every 2 or 3 years take a bit of good advice from someone who knows.

KEEP IT COOL.

Last edited:

LuckyHood

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
Ok guys, so update, I replaced the motherboard with an Asus Rog Strix Z790-a Gaming Wifi D4. The B660 was really problematic with the 13th gen i7K. After the switch I have temps lower by 15 degrees. Thanks everyone for the answers!

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Ok guys, so update, I replaced the motherboard with an Asus Rog Strix Z790-a Gaming Wifi D4. The B660 was really problematic with the 13th gen i7K. After the switch I have temps lower by 15 degrees. Thanks everyone for the answers!

I tend to think that removing and reinstalling the pump/water block with fresh thermal paste is probably where you got your lower temps, not from the board change itself.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I did reinstall the water pump and repasted it like three times, the problem was the motherboard.

That's truly wild. I mean, there can only be 2 explanations for that. 1, the old board was over-supplying voltage to the CPU unnecessarily, or 2 the temperature wasn't being reported accurately.
I mean, all things being equal, a given cpu should run at the same temp at the same settings regardless of what board it's on.
scratches head.