[SOLVED] High CPU usage by Windows 10??!

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
Hey all! I hope you are doing great!
So I got this Asus f571gt laptop months ago that I've been using in my study and also for gaming.
It actually suits me pretty well for that price tag, but there is one problem wich is windows 10 "system" is always consuming around 20% of the cpu usage,
sometimes more and forcing it to run at max clock speed all the time, and that made it almost impossible to run the pc on battery.
I tried updating everything but still nothing changed.
Pc specs: i5 8300h, gtx1650, 16gb ram, 512m2 ssd and I'm using windows 10 home 64bit

Here is a screenshot of my task manager: https://ibb.co/h1PwMY3

And thanks all in advance!

Solution
download and run this microsoft tool
Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

it will allow you to click on the process, right mouse click for properties and see how the process was called and determine what it is doing. for example rather than just seeing a service host (svchost.exe) you can see all of the services that are rolled up under one service host process. then look to see what is actually eating up the cpu time.
it could be something like a process scanning your drives for errors to attempt fixes.

anyway it can give you a clue as to what might be going on. see if you can pinpoint what subservice is using the cpu time.
if you bring up the properties, you can look at the thread tab, then look at...

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
Hello,
yes, when I started my system then it uses CPU maximum and also memory showing 100% used. I suggested you check the startup menu how many applications run then stop some applications from the startup menu while starting our system it will not resolve the problem but performance is better.
Thanks
David
I already done that and as you said, there is almost no impact, I guess the only thing that can get improved by that is the start up time.
Anyways, thanks for your answer mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 19, 2020
Has this always been the computer's CPU usage since day one?

Any recent downloads, or patches?

Have you tried booting into safe mode and then checking to see if the CPU usage is exactly the same?

Have you run a memory diagnostics test lately?

Any Services running that weren't before?

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
This has been happening since I started the pc the first time so I don't think that its cause by anything that I downloaded/installed..
I also did what you said, tried to boot into safe mode but "system" was not using anything from the cpu at all (0%).
And did the memory diagnostics test, it took quite a long time but ended with no problems detected.
About the services, I don't think that I'm running any of them that weren't running before.

Thanks for your reply.

Dec 19, 2020
This has been happening since I started the pc the first time so I don't think that its cause by anything that I downloaded/installed..
I also did what you said, tried to boot into safe mode but "system" was not using anything from the cpu at all (0%).
And did the memory diagnostics test, it took quite a long time but ended with no problems detected.
About the services, I don't think that I'm running any of them that weren't running before.

Thanks for your reply.

So am I understanding you correctly - that when you booted in safe mode "System" did not utilize any high CPU usage at all?

Maybe your Graphics card memory is an issue.. can you swap it out and put a cheap one in to see if the SYSTEM usage goes down?

Seems like something inherent in the hardware itself then, if "since day one" it has had high System usage.
Something from hardware is taxing the system..

Any weird Services going on that you don't recognize?

it will allow you to click on the process, right mouse click for properties and see how the process was called and determine what it is doing. for example rather than just seeing a service host (svchost.exe) you can see all of the services that are rolled up under one service host process. then look to see what is actually eating up the cpu time.
it could be something like a process scanning your drives for errors to attempt fixes.

anyway it can give you a clue as to what might be going on. see if you can pinpoint what subservice is using the cpu time.
if you bring up the properties, you can look at the thread tab, then look at the kernel time and user time
for excess time used. basically if it is kernel time that is used up you would look for a driver bug, if it is user time then it might be a app or service problem.

Solution

if you bring up the properties, you can look at the thread tab, then look at the kernel time and user time
for excess time used. basically if it is kernel time that is used up you would look for a driver bug, if it is user time then it might be a app or service problem.
you can also suspend processes with this tool to see if you find the correct process that is having the problem.
suspend the process, see if the cpu use goes down, the release the process to see if it goes up.
then find out what the process does.

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
So am I understanding you correctly - that when you booted in safe mode "System" did not utilize any high CPU usage at all?

Maybe your Graphics card memory is an issue.. can you swap it out and put a cheap one in to see if the SYSTEM usage goes down?

Seems like something inherent in the hardware itself then, if "since day one" it has had high System usage.
Something from hardware is taxing the system..

Any weird Services going on that you don't recognize?
Yeah you get it right mate, but it's a laptop so it's impossible for me to change that graphics card.

mahdi_88

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016

I tried the tool you recommended and I looked under "System" but it still didn't show what exactly was eating up all that CPU power, so I closed all running programs/services manually and the CPU usage went down, and when I started running them back one by one, it turned out that MSI afterburner was the source of the problem.. so I unistalled it and everything is good now!
Thanks alot for your time guys I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Toni Tabasco