Question Hit the power button, CPU fans spin for a second, then turn off -- No Post

Jul 23, 2021
My system history:

Purchased this PC back in 2017; Alienware Aurora R5. Never overclocked anything; used for gaming and web browsing. I've since learned how to build my own PC and gave the Alienware prebuilt to my dad so that he could upgrade from a prebuilt craptop. Since then, he has used it to browse the web mainly and it has worked perfectly fine, but randomly it started to not boot.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 4440
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060
RAM: Some brand 8GB 2400MHz
Everything else was stock

Since then, I've tried troubleshooting. The PC appeared to boot if I drained the power (unplugged everything and left it idle) after a few days, however, has stopped working after that compromise. Here's a list of a few things I've done:

1. Cleared the CMOS
  2. Tried to reseat the RAM
  3. Swapped RAM from the stock 8GB 2400MHz to a Patriot Signature Premium 8GB DDR4 3200MHz
  4. Swapped power supplies from the stock PSU to an EVGA 100-N1-0750-L1 750 N1 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
  5. Swapped motherboards from the stock alienware motherboard to an Asus TUF B365M-PLUS Gaming (Wi-Fi) LGA1151
All of the connections are stable -- everything is plugged in and snug. All cables are plugged in all the way. Whenever I press the power button, the CPU cooler fan spins and case fans spin, but they stop after a half a second. The motherboard is obviously getting power because the RGB lighting on the motherboard stays on, but everything else stays off.

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. At this point, I'm considering swapping the GPU and then the CPU if it doesn't work.

Last edited:
test your current RAM modules one at a time in each DIMM slot separately.

if the CPU, VRAM, GPU, etc all are still reporting normal temperatures
troubleshooting each component separately may be the only way to narrow down what's causing it.

are the new PSU, motherboard, & RAM all purchased after the issue started?

Reactions: SSDGang
Jul 23, 2021
test your current RAM modules one at a time in each DIMM slot separately.

if the CPU, VRAM, GPU, etc all are still reporting normal temperatures
troubleshooting each component separately may be the only way to narrow down what's causing it.

are the new PSU, motherboard, & RAM all purchased after the issue started?

Yes, the PSU, motherboard, & RAM were all purchased NEW after the issue started.

My system history:

Purchased this PC back in 2017; Alienware Aurora R5. Never overclocked anything; used for gaming and web browsing. I've since learned how to build my own PC and gave the Alienware prebuilt to my dad so that he could upgrade from a prebuilt craptop. Since then, he has used it to browse the web mainly and it has worked perfectly fine, but randomly it started to not boot.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 4400
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060
RAM: Some brand 8GB 2666MHz
Everything else was stock

Since then, I've tried troubleshooting. The PC appeared to boot if I drained the power (unplugged everything and left it idle) after a few days, however, has stopped working after that compromise. Here's a list of a few things I've done:

1. Cleared the CMOS
  2. Tried to reseat the RAM
  3. Swapped RAM from the stock 8GB 2666MHz to a Patriot Signature Premium 8GB DDR4 3200MHz
  4. Swapped power supplies from the stock PSU to an EVGA 100-N1-0750-L1 750 N1 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
  5. Swapped motherboards from the stock alienware motherboard to an Asus TUF B365M-PLUS Gaming (Wi-Fi) LGA1151
All of the connections are stable -- everything is plugged in and snug. All cables are plugged in all the way. Whenever I press the power button, the CPU cooler fan spins and case fans spin, but they stop after a half a second. The motherboard is obviously getting power because the RGB lighting on the motherboard stays on, but everything else stays off.

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. At this point, I'm considering swapping the GPU and then the CPU if it doesn't work.
Does the motherboard have troubleshooting LED's? check which one remains lit after it fails POST, that's most likely where the trouble is.

If not: does it have a system speaker/buzzer terminals? do you have one to attach to it? if so you can retrieve beep codes that will tell you where it's failing POST.

Reactions: SSDGang
Jul 23, 2021
Does the motherboard have troubleshooting LED's? check which one remains lit after it fails POST, that's most likely where the trouble is.

If not: does it have a system speaker/buzzer terminals? do you have one to attach to it? if so you can retrieve beep codes that will tell you where it's failing POST.

It does not have any troubleshooting LEDs, but I will try to listen for a speaker beep, thanks.