[SOLVED] How am i going to replace the program files after manually backupping with USB Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2021
I'm trying to copy my system files (Program Files, inetpub, Program files (x86), Intel) into My other computer. Yet i realised that I might not be able to replace the existing ones in my computer with the ones that already exist. So, How am i going to replace those folders? Simply Copy and Pasting would be impossible.

Please note that im using manual backup to transfer data from my PCs. Help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Solution
What you're asking would be amazing if it could be done, but unfortunately Windows can't do that. Every program needs to install registry entries and other system software to the point that it simply can't be done.
More detail and clarification needed.

It sounds like you want to move a Windows installation and installed programs from computer A to computer B, irrespective of personal data files.

Does computer B already have its own Windows installation?

Do you know the details of your Windows license on computer A?

Are both of these PCs "pre-built" with a brand name? Or did you build both yourself?

Dec 2, 2021
More detail and clarification needed.

It sounds like you want to move a Windows installation and installed programs from computer A to computer B, irrespective of personal data files.

Does computer B already have its own Windows installation?

Do you know the details of your Windows license on computer A?

Are both of these PCs "pre-built" with a brand name? Or did you build both yourself?
They both are Windows 11 (and both using 3rd party software to bypass microsoft's crazy requirements)

USAFRet

Titan
I'm trying to copy my system files (Program Files, inetpub, Program files (x86), Intel) into My other computer. Yet i realised that I might not be able to replace the existing ones in my computer with the ones that already exist. So, How am i going to replace those folders? Simply Copy and Pasting would be impossible.

Please note that im using manual backup to transfer data from my PCs. Help would be appreciated, Thanks!
You cannot do what you seek.

If your thinking you can copy/move your apps from one machine to another you might want to rethink that as I doubt the app will function on the destination pc.

More likely you will need to install the app on the new pc.

DSzymborski

Titan

The correct solution is to install them properly. Most programs are not designed to be transferred in this way; you're basically trying to chop a carrot with a sledgehammer.

There are exceptions, of course. For example, directories with Steam games can be moved over, though you still have to reinstall Steam itself and point it to the moved folder in the program settings.

Don't copy system files/folders from one PC to another, because it's not garaunteed they'll work with another system even if they use similar components.

If those programs have settings and configurations you'd like to transfer over, those are typically in C:\Users\[username]\AppData

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What you're asking would be amazing if it could be done, but unfortunately Windows can't do that. Every program needs to install registry entries and other system software to the point that it simply can't be done.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.