How Badly Will i3 2120 Bottleneck HD 7970?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Okay, so I came to the conclusion that we will never really know when Nvidia will release their high end Kepler, so I said **** it. I'll just make a two-three year commitment to XFX Black Edition HD 7970, but I have an issue, I just purchased an i3 2120. How badly will this processor bottleneck the HD 7970. I got the i3 because I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge and I don't want to wait 2-3 months without a gaming rig.

** Just a note. I've read on this website that Skyrim was once dependent on the processor, but that is not the case now.

Solution
Depends on the game, the i3 will have no problem playing games which aren't multithreaded but it will be a pretty bad in some games like bf3 multiplayer.

JackMomma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
as above, the it definitely depends on the game... and the lack of 4 threads would have a really noticeable impact on performance with newer games that you have to be looking to play if you want a 7970. I just don't see any game being so GPU dependent that you would see higher performance from a 7970 than say a 6970 without starting to bottleneck the cpu. If you plan on sticking with the CPU for a while, I'd save some money till u go quad core.

m8x776

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
The single core performance of the Core i3-2120 is about the same as a Core i7 SB processor. So in games that are optimized for 2 threads you would see no slowdown at all. In fact, in these cases you're better off with the Core i3 as opposed to a Phenom II X4.
In some of these newer games that are optimized for a quad-core you will sometimes take a hit. A good indicator is if your CPU usage is near 100%.

I think the move you made is pretty sound and I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Regardless, it will only be 2-4 months when Ivy is coming out. I doubt I will see anything because I haven't played video games since 2005 anyways. I'll just sell it for dirt cheap, or plaque it when Ivy comes out.

the only game where more than 2 main threads were use the i3 lost to the phenoms in that review.

I didn't say the i3 beat everything in every game, I said they handled 4 thread games just fine, as in, only a couple of AMD's CPU's beat it, and by a very small margin. Wouldn't you consider that handling 4 threads fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.