[SOLVED] How can you find out the maximum number of graphics a motherboard can run?

jam500

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
I have just recently set up a new mining rig that is currently running with 6 gpus on my EVGA Z97 FTW motherboard with a i5-4690k CPU. I tried to run 8 cards originally on the system but it would not boot with more than 6 cards plugged in. 3 of the cards are plugged in using a pcie 4-way splitter.
It seems as though as soon as more than 6 gpus are plugged in the motherboard no longer knows how to index them as the cpu has 16 pcie lanes available and the motherboard can technically fit more cards with splitters. My question is; is there any way to increase this limit on the motherboard? and if not is there a way to tell what a motherboard max supported gpu number is before purchase?

Thanks for any help, the rig is running fine with 6 cards and it's just made up of old pc parts besides the gpus.

p.jpeg

Solution
there are mining mainboards which have configured bios to support that many gpus (and more)
otherwise u will need to enable above 4G in bios settings, but Z97 is a bit old, so it may not have such config there, around 2017~2018 mainboards got bios updates for above 4G (when crypto boomed)
there are mining mainboards which have configured bios to support that many gpus (and more)
otherwise u will need to enable above 4G in bios settings, but Z97 is a bit old, so it may not have such config there, around 2017~2018 mainboards got bios updates for above 4G (when crypto boomed)

Solution