[SOLVED] How do I assign a static IP through DHCP?

redteamrocks

Prominent
Feb 16, 2018
Hello friends,

I have a server that I plan to use as a file server in my house that I want to have a static IP so we can always access it from our computers. How do I configure this so that all of my other computers can continue to use DHCP from the ISP to get their info?

Thanks,
Matt

Solution
Hello friends,

I have a server that I plan to use as a file server in my house that I want to have a static IP so we can always access it from our computers. How do I configure this so that all of my other computers can continue to use DHCP from the ISP to get their info?

Thanks,
Matt
Sounds like you only want to access the server while at home. So you don't need to worry about an external static IP, only an internal one on your own network. Your ISP assigns an external IP to your modem or gateway usually through DHCP unless you pay for a static one, and then your router or gateway (modem and router combined) uses DHCP to hand out IP's to all of your devices. So, your devices are not actually getting their IP's from your ISP...
There are 2 basic ways. You can assign the ip directly in the server being sure that the ip is in a range excluded on the router so it does not assign it to another machine. The other way is to use a feature in the router...most have it...to assign the static ip via dhcp. You would put in the ip you want to use and the mac address of the server. The router would then always offer the same IP via dhcp anytime it gets a request from that mac address.

If all your computers get IP address from ISP, then only ISP can make address reservation.

If you have router between your network and ISP (your router gives IP addresses to your local network), then you can make IP address reservation in router. This will reserve local IP address of your server. External IP address will still be controlled by ISP. ISP may charge extra for external address reservation.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Hello friends,

Thanks,
Matt
Sounds like you only want to access the server while at home. So you don't need to worry about an external static IP, only an internal one on your own network. Your ISP assigns an external IP to your modem or gateway usually through DHCP unless you pay for a static one, and then your router or gateway (modem and router combined) uses DHCP to hand out IP's to all of your devices. So, your devices are not actually getting their IP's from your ISP, they come from your router or gateway.

Figure out what your IP range is, mine is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254, then set the server to use a static IP in that range.
If you have access to the router and can tell it to reserve that address for the server then do that. Or you can adjust the DHCP range of the router to not include the server IP:

For example, server is set to 192.168.1.10. Set the DHCP range on the router to start at 192.168.1.11 and it will never hand out the server IP to another device.

If you don't have access to change these settings on the router or aren't comfortable doing it, then just set the IP on the server to a higher number, for example, if you set it to 192.168.1.200 the router should never get near that number to hand out unless you have tons of devices connecting all the time.

Solution
Mar 2, 2019
Hello friends,

Thanks,
Matt
hi matt,
you have to only configure the ipv4
by going into as follow:-
control panel > network and sharing > change adapter setting > and select ethernet > porperties
and there config your ip for that file server
for example: -
if file server ip is 192.168.1.50(if u want to keep this ip)
ip- 192.168.1.50
subnet- 255.255.255.0
gateway: - 192.168.1.1
thats it.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello friends,

Thanks,
Matt
Which type access ARE you trying to accomplish, WAN access or LAN only access? What network hardware (make and model) do you have?

TRENDING THREADS