Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2019
So for the past 8 months I have been trying to find a solution for when my hard disk is using 100% while playing games, It mostly happens when loading and after loading. It will just stutter so much and then be ok until I get to like a checkpoint or something and it stutters really bad. I have even bought a new hard drive and reinstalled windows and all the drivers. I have no viruses or anything like that. I have read hundreds of threads trying to fix this issue, here are my specs:

Cpu: i5 4670k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus vi hero
Graphics: gtx 1060 3gb
Storage: wd blue 7200 rpm 1tb
Ram: 8gb ddr3 2400 dual channel

Dec 19, 2018
thats pretty unusal i used to use a HDD to run all my games but never had any problems with stutters due to the HDD itself maybe get and SSD and install your games and windows onto that but dont take my advice as true this is just an assumption maybe someone else will come along with a better answer than i can provide

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
Disk usage? Basic question I know but it wasn't answered in the OP so I thought I'd ask. If your disk usage is almost maxed out then you'll find your machine will start to slow down.

Have you ran a chkdsk on your machine to check for any issues with your disk? (See here)

Also check event viewer to see if you have any issues popping up there.
(Open start menu -> Type event viewer -> Open Windows Logs -> Open System -> Look for errors relating to disk issues)

Any unusual sounds coming from the harddrive? (Like a clicking noise)

Sep 8, 2019
Disk usage? Basic question I know but it wasn't answered in the OP so I thought I'd ask. If your disk usage is almost maxed out then you'll find your machine will start to slow down.

Have you ran a chkdsk on your machine to check for any issues with your disk? (See here)

Also check event viewer to see if you have any issues popping up there.
(Open start menu -> Type event viewer -> Open Windows Logs -> Open System -> Look for errors relating to disk issues)

Any unusual sounds coming from the harddrive? (Like a clicking noise)
Hard drive is healthy.

assuming no intermittent SATA cables (data and power)/SATA ports are involved, regardless of reported drive health...

Swap it, WD Blue drives in 1 TB capacity are bout $45-$50 these days...better yet, 1 TB Crucial MX500's are ~$95-$105 on Amazon...(500 GB units are ~$65)

Sep 8, 2019
assuming no intermittent SATA cables (data and power)/SATA ports are involved, regardless of reported drive health...

Swap it, WD Blue drives in 1 TB capacity are bout $45-$50 these days...better yet, 1 TB Crucial MX500's are ~$95-$105 on Amazon...(500 GB units are ~$65)
I already bought a new hard drive

boju

Titan
Ambassador
50% ram usage doesn't reflect what's actually being cached into ram or how the pagefile is being utilised. Windows caches all available ram and out of 8gb, what's left for games, after Windows takes what it needs, be lucky to have 6gb, probably 5gb available.

After playing a game for 5mins or so have a look in task manager > memory for committed size. Let me know what it says for values xx/xx.

Sep 8, 2019
50% ram usage doesn't reflect what's actually being cached into ram or how the pagefile is being utilised. Windows caches all available ram and out of 8gb, what's left for games, after Windows takes what it needs, be lucky to have 6gb, probably 5gb available.

After playing a game for 5mins or so have a look in task manager > memory for committed size. Let me know what it says for values xx/xx.
i will give you some information when i can but i think we are on the right track. :D:D

Sep 8, 2019

ok i have the results 7/10.1

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, pagefile is quite large, 10.1gb and size may change, larger or smaller depending on game and length of play.

An ssd would help pagefile speeds. As is, hdd is working hard. Will always have a pagefile albeit, more ram will help retain more important data in physical memory rather than resorting to hdd virtual memory too much.

Sep 8, 2019
Yeah, pagefile is quite large, 10.1gb and size may change, larger or smaller depending on game and length of play.

An ssd would help pagefile speeds. As is, hdd is working hard. Will always have a pagefile albeit, more ram will help retain more important data in physical memory rather than resorting to hdd virtual memory too much.
How come before I never got this lag? I even bought a new hard drive.

Sep 8, 2019

Not sure. Perhaps Windows/Nvidia or game updates have changed something since 8 months ago?

Which games are you having problems with? So you're saying the same game's never had a problem before or?
im having problems mostly with Fortnite and some single player games like battlefield campain where i get a small lag spike at checkpoints, every other game is very playable, also what would you recommend i set my page file to?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't feel comfortable recommending touching pagefile settings with 8gb ram. If you run out of memory your Windows/games can crash and corrupt data.

Different games behave differently and IO activity varies. In open world games with stuff being loaded on the fly, yeah, wouldn't want to rely on a hdd and 8gb ram. I believe you need more ram at least.

Sep 8, 2019
Bingo. Are you upping your in-game settings? Or letting Nvidia software do it? Since you have the 3 GB version of the 1060, there is only so much GUI the card can hold before it has to go to the hard drive for more.
The stutter is happening in games that use less than 2gb of vram on low setting with fps capped and not capped

Sep 8, 2019
I don't feel comfortable recommending touching pagefile settings with 8gb ram. If you run out of memory your Windows/games can crash and corrupt data.

Different games behave differently and IO activity varies. In open world games with stuff being loaded on the fly, yeah, wouldn't want to rely on a hdd and 8gb ram. I believe you need more ram at least.
I also noticed when opening programs the disk usage goes up to 100 percent and I did the same with a computer at Walmart and the disk usage was low. The computer at Walmart also had an hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.