Question How do i fix constant 100% cpu usage on games like rainbow six and csgo

Sep 24, 2019
I have recently brought a pc from nzxt it came with i5 9600k and 2080ti prebuilt. ever since I installed my games ive been hearing coil whine and when I play games its constant loud squealing and constant 100% cpu usage. my gpu hardly ever hits 90% on games like rust gta and siege. Ive been stressing over still stuff for a week and nzxt tells me they hear no coil whine when I send them videos and say that 100% cpu usage is fine which is unbelieve coming from a massive computer building company. I don't know what to do anymore. ive also reset the computer two times and nothing. Please help me

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
What kind of fps are you seeing in those games? 100 % cpu utilisation is nothing really bad to begin wihh. It just means youf cpu is pushing all the frames it can. Considering you are playing esports titles with high refresh-rates on a 2080ti that could just be normal behaviour.

The noise indeed is not. I would check fps, temps and whats your resolution?
In addition open the machine and try to determine where the noise comes from. Could be the psu.

What resolution are you running? A 9600k & 2080Ti is a bit of an odd mix unless running a high resolution like 4K. At lower resolutions or less gpu demanding games I would expect your cpu to be at or close to 100%.

As for coil whine keep fighting it. What exact psu do you have? Actually what is the full pc spec?

Sep 24, 2019
What kind of fps are you seeing in those games? 100 % cpu utilisation is nothing really bad to begin wihh. It just means youf cpu is pushing all the frames it can. Considering you are playing esports titles with high refresh-rates on a 2080ti that could just be normal behaviour.

The noise indeed is not. I would check fps, temps and whats your resolution?
In addition open the machine and try to determine where the noise comes from. Could be the psu.
My resolution is 1980x1080p and temps are fine but frames are normal but I feel like it micro stuttering from 100% cpu and I’m running siege on low

Sep 24, 2019
What resolution are you running? A 9600k & 2080Ti is a bit of an odd mix unless running a high resolution like 4K. At lower resolutions or less gpu demanding games I would expect your cpu to be at or close to 100%.

As for coil whine keep fighting it. What exact psu do you have? Actually what is the full pc spec?

Sep 24, 2019
1980x1080p ,What is psu and isn’t nzxt kraken x72, msi mpg z370 gaming pro carbon ac , asus rog rtx 2080ti strix O11G, intel i5-9600k 3.7 , nzxt E850 Gold digital psu and g skill tridents rgb 3200mhz

Oh damn thanks for telling me man
So what speed is your CPU running at?
A custom PC from nzxt smells like overclocked everything to me.
Since you send them video footage I'm sure it's not coil whine but probably the CPU or GPU fan revving up due to running at extremely high clocks.
I'm betting you dollars to doughnuts that if you slow things down to normal speeds everything will be quiet and you will still get the exact same FPS.

Also instead of playing at higher resolutions you could also just use a frame limit from within the game or from a third party app,.

You can minimize the processor's frenzied work partially by shifting some more load to the GPU...; if you can't raise resolution, at least max out quality, ultra, higher levels of AA, and, if need be, perhaps you can cap your in-game FPS to that the processor is not trying to feed the GPU as fast as it possibly can...

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I think the statement
"Too powerful for 1080p"
Is a bit misleading here. The gpu is clearly capable of much higher resolutions while still managing high framerates. Lets say it is not fully utilized by csgo in 1080p. You dont break anything playing on 1080p with a 2080ti. Its just that you could do the same with a much cheaper gpu.

Long story short you are "bottlenecked" by you cpu at 1080p. Or to use a positive phrasing: Your Gpu allows for more graphical fidelety like higher resolution or ultra settings.

Could you still open that chassis and tell us where the noise is coming from?

Reactions: King_V
NZXT, basically another custom builder that does not know how to even CPU and GPU power and sell systems with mismatch parts.

They should atleast warn users with a note:

"Hey buyer, this "mid-tier CPU" will work great with this "top-tier GPU" as long as you play really heavy GPU games at ultra settings with AA active at 1080p, or if you own a 1440p or 4K capable monitor.

But yeah, you got the fastest gpu in the world with a good mid-tier CPU (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/e...-9600k-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html) but with only 6 cores and no hyper threading.

Thats not the best combo out there. I bet an intel 8700/K (6 cores/12 threads) would have been a better choice to pair with the RTX 2080 TI (heck, maybe even a low budget Ryzen 5 3600 will do better).

But, if money was not a problem, I would have aimed for the Core i9 9900K for that big GPU, been the Ryzen 7 3700X (8C/16T) or Ryzen 9 3900X(12C/24T) also good choices.

In my personal opinion, I would discard the 9700K out since is a joke of a CPU for 2019. When all other top tier CPU have HT or SMT this piece of crap does not, but still sells for a premium price.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hang on, hang on . . what exactly is the refresh rate of this 1920x1080 monitor? If it's something like 60fps, or 75fps, then you should be setting vsync on, and therefore not forcing the system to run faster than needed in an effort to push out extra frames that the monitor can't show you.

Does the monitor have either GSync or FreeSync?

If the monitor has a limit in the number of frames that can be shown (ie: max refresh 75Hz), there's no reason to tell the system to go faster than that.

Reactions: RodroX

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think so.
I5-9600k at 100% usage and 3.7GHz, that's base clocks without turbo.
RTX2080ti seeing 90% usage
1080p monitor? No, there's something else in play here because either of those is far more capable of lower usage and still going way beyond 1080p limits.

Cpu sets the fps. It pre-renders all the frames. Sends those to gpu for finish render according to resolution and details.
Usage is the amount of resources needed by the cpu to get the pre-rendered frames. You can get 100fps at 80% usage or 20% usage, depending on the game code.
The gpu has to live upto whatever it gets sent, or not. Doesn't matter how much more powerful it it is or not, if it gets sent 100 pre-rendered frames, that's all it's got to work with.

Meaning if it can put up all 100 frames at ultra settings, it'll put all 100 frames up on low, only thing that'll change is the gpu usage as it'll require more resources at ultra. Won't affect the cpu at all.

Only way I see 1080p causing 90% usage on That gpu is if op is running 4k DSR with DLSS and Ray tracing enabled, through GeForce Experience on a poorly optimized game.

For cpu, I'd be leaning towards all core locked 3.7GHz, turbo disabled, MCE enabled and other misappropriated bios settings, almost as if there was some OC included, but someone disabled it by turning off the turbo.

Op has an overpowered gpu. That won't mean that usages will be that high, without reason. Usages on that gpu at 1080p should be closer to 30-40%, especially since op said the settings are on low, not 90%, ever.

Reactions: RodroX
Karadjgne Im not that sure OP said the CPU was runing at 3.7GHz while gaming, I think it was just posting basic specs of the CPU, (of course I can be missing somehting here).

But you're 100% right on that, if hes playing at 1080p and CPU is around 100% ussage, GPU shouldn't be at 90% ussage for those games. I totally missed out that.

Sep 24, 2019
I think the statement
"Too powerful for 1080p"
Is a bit misleading here. The gpu is clearly capable of much higher resolutions while still managing high framerates. Lets say it is not fully utilized by csgo in 1080p. You dont break anything playing on 1080p with a 2080ti. Its just that you could do the same with a much cheaper gpu.

Long story short you are "bottlenecked" by you cpu at 1080p. Or to use a positive phrasing: Your Gpu allows for more graphical fidelety like higher resolution or ultra settings.

Sep 24, 2019
I think the statement
"Too powerful for 1080p"

I sounds like it’s coming from the graphics card