Question How do i fix my DATA (D:) drive?

Apr 15, 2021
my computer has 128gb of C: drive and 1T of (D:) drive. I noticed when I first got it that my C: drive filled up really quickly and it didn't make much sense to me. I figured out how to direct most download to (D:) but its a little wonky. Every item I put into the (D:) end up on my desktop and it really annoying. Imagine have 1T of stop on your desktop? I minimized it to as many folders as possible but even things like program files are on my desktop. Is there a way I can prevent the (D:) drive from putting everything on my desktop? My old asus didn't do this I think it was an i5 and I'm currently running an i7 PLEASE HELPPP.

very similar model to my computer i just don't have alexa :https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-z...ti-max-q-1tb-ssd-grey/6436221.p?skuId=6436221

USAFRet

Titan
I used the properties and then location tab to change where the folders are and for downloads I Changed it in my browser to always save to my downloads folder located in the D drive
Really, only one of those were needed.

In the Properties - Location thing, did you specify a specific Folder? Or did you just designate "the D drive"?
If the latter, this is bad. Like...really bad.

Apr 15, 2021
i just put it to d drive my computer works fine I just don't want everything on my desktop. i actually messed something up a few hours ago and completely reset my computer o_o but everything is working now I haven't downloaded anything and seen if its gone on my desktop yet but I assume it would do the same as before

Apr 15, 2021
How, exactly?

It may be just continuing the same problem.

Designated the "D drive" as the download location does not work.
You'd needed to have designated a specific folder.
Or just change the default in the browser(s).

Ohhh I didn't know that (obviously) is it possible for me to do it now? also I had to sign into everything and personalized it again i also lost my files (I didn't really have anything important)

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
hmm... bring up an explorer window and right click the desktop shortcut on the left, hit properties and under the location tab set it to D:\Desktop, it'll ask you if you want to create that folder as it doesn't exists, hit yes and everything will be dumped there
once you're done get into the folder you just made and simply cut everything you don't want there and paste it wherever you like in the same drive. That's it.

You should also make a downloads folder as well so your browser saves files there and not in the desktop

USAFRet

Titan
hmm... bring up an explorer window and right click the desktop shortcut on the left, hit properties and under the location tab set it to D:\Desktop, it'll ask you if you want to create that folder as it doesn't exists, hit yes and everything will be dumped there
once you're done get into the folder you just made and simply cut everything you don't want there and paste it wherever you like in the same drive. That's it.

You should also make a downloads folder as well so your browser saves files there and not in the desktop
But why redirect the location for the Desktop to the D drive?

Simply don't save things directly to the Desktop.