Question How do I Install a SSD with an existing HDD

SomeJuicy

Prominent
Jul 30, 2019
Hello, I've been wanting to install the Samsung 860 EVO into my computer along with my HDD. I'm really not sure how I would proceed with adding an SSD, so I'm just looking for some guidance.

What form factor?

If it's a 2.5" SSD then you can treat it as any HDD; SATA power and data cables and plug into available port.

If it's M.2 then check with motherboard manual. There's a possibility the M.2 port shares bandwidth with either a PCIe slot or SATA ports.

SomeJuicy

Prominent
Jul 30, 2019
Hello, I have an 860 EVO SDD and I'm trying to install Windows 10 onto it while not having Windows on my HDD as I plan to use it for storage. Would I also use my Windows 10 installation disc for this process? I'm pretty new to this, so everything has been pretty confusing.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, I have an 860 EVO SDD and I'm trying to install Windows 10 onto it while not having Windows on my HDD as I plan to use it for storage. Would I also use my Windows 10 installation disc for this process? I'm pretty new to this, so everything has been pretty confusing.
Basically, this:

Be sure you physically disconnect the HDD while you install on the SSD.
Later, you wipe the HDD clean and use it...whatever.

demyansk

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
Hi
I did this two years ago. I bought a Samsung Ssd drive and transferred everything from the hd operating system, everything went right to the new ssd drive. Instructions were included. And you can check out videos as well. Real Easy to d o, then you can place the original hd in the system as a storage drive if you want. You might have to start and set your bios for the proper starting procedure of the system reading the drives. You can do it.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, I've been wanting to install the Samsung 860 EVO into my computer along with my HDD. I'm really not sure how I would proceed with adding an SSD, so I'm just looking for some guidance.
If you're looking for a clean install ont he new drive, see my post above.

If you're considering a clone/migration from the old drive to new, questions...
What size is the new SSD?
How much space is consumed on your current C drive?