[SOLVED] How do I install additional SSD NVMe storage while already having an SSD SATA3?

Aug 2, 2021
Hello guys,

Currently, I'm using a PC with Windows 10 install on a SSD SATA3 but recently, I've bought an SSD NVMe 500gb from WD for additional storage. However, upon pluggin the NVMe into the slot and going into the BIOS, it then only shows the NVMe in the Boot Option instead of both the Windows Boot Manager partition and the SATA3 storage. When I unplug the NVMe and reboot, it then shows the appropriate options as before.

By plugging the NVMe, is it disabling something in the BIOS that causes the mobo to not recognized the SATA3?

Should I change something in the BIOS in order for it to recognize all SSDs?

These are the hardwards that I'm currently using:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • ASUS TUF Gaming B450M PLus II
  • Windows 10
  • New SSD: WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD
  • Old SSD: Kingston SA400 240Gb SATA3

Solution
Are you trying to plug your sata drives into the SATA_5/6 ports? Check, check again - looks like the mostly likely problem to me (https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/specifications/):

The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA_5/6 ports, and therefore the SATA_5/6 ports cannot be used when an M.2 device is installed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you trying to plug your sata drives into the SATA_5/6 ports? Check, check again - looks like the mostly likely problem to me (https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/specifications/):

The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA_5/6 ports, and therefore the SATA_5/6 ports cannot be used when an M.2 device is installed.

Reactions: sonnydelightful
Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
Not too unusual for SATA and M.2 port to use same system resources and the SATA controller disabled when M.2 plugged in. Easy way is to buy an M.2 to usb adapter and run a mirror imaging utility then swap. Sometimes, depending on the board, only some of the SATA ports are disabled, and you can find which are ok and just move the old boot drive there.

Aug 2, 2021

This was the problem. I switched the SATA 3 SSD to another SATA port and it worked!.

Thank you very much! You have been of great help!

PS. How to I mark your answer is Solution?