How do I know if I have power over Ethernet?

Paul22000

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I work in IT and I'm trying to install a network camera for a client which requires power over Ethernet. How do I verify that there is not PoE available, or whether the camera is defective? (I'm pretty sure that there is no PoE; I just want to be able to prove it.)

sk1939

Distinguished

Plugging what directly into the wall? If your talking about plugging the camera into a network drop, all that means is the camera is not receiving power, either due to no PoE or due to bad cabling.

Paul22000

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Right, I want to literally *PROVE* that there is no PoE at my client's office building. Is there a way to perform this?

Have to concur that you are going to have to get a look at the switch. Even if it is a PoE switch you can still not have power. The port could have PoE disabled in the configuration and you also get the nasty case of what looks like "random" power availability.

If a PoE switch does not have enough power in the chassis to provide power to all the ports it will just stop offering power when it runs out. Then if someone unplugs their device a different port may then request it.