Question How do I know turbo boost is working?

Jan 16, 2020
I'm completely a noob so sorry if this is dumb. How can I prove to myself that turbo boost is working on a laptop? I'm running below base on an i5-1035 and the speed never moves.

We purchased it to do some remote work which requires 2.0Ghz to pass the hardware scan and it fails every time. Please help.

Base: 1.00GHZ
running @: 0.99GHZ
Max: 3.6GHZ

easiest way is to run a utility like CoreTemp and Prime95 together, then reduce the # of Prime95 workers to 1. You should see the clock speed of the 1 fully utilized core

I'm completely a noob so sorry if this is dumb. How can I prove to myself that turbo boost is working on a laptop? I'm running below base on an i5-1035 and the speed never moves.

We purchased it to do some remote work which requires 2.0Ghz to pass the hardware scan and it fails every time. Please help.

Base: 1.00GHZ
running @: 0.99GHZ
Max: 3.6GHZ

Reactions: thedopeprince
Jan 16, 2020
Thanks. What if the speed doesn't change? in CPU-Z it toggles between 997.80 and 997.56 MHz How do I get the speeds out of this computer? I know it's activated in the BIOS temps are around 65C in performance mode. What am I missing?

Jan 16, 2020
Update. I reset the BIOS settings and it's working now. It seems that Dell didn't set this up properly (despite how much they tried to talk me out of it on the phone). It's working now. But I'm still failing the test. is there a way to set the base speed to 2GHz?

Reactions: toniplavna

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have Windows power plan set to high performance if don't want power saving mode reducing clock speeds and have it plugged to mains power.

Which task/program are you running requiring 2GHz? Because say 2GHz Pentium 4 would get done by a modern cpu if were capped at 1GHz. What's the error message? Pics would help a lot. Cheers.

Reactions: toniplavna