Question How do I monitor wireless users if my router won't allow me to?

xRaiiny

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
Hello, first of all my english sucks when it comes to tech stuff so I may end up using wrong terms. And secondly, im just an amateur when it comes to this stuff.
To the subject: I want to see wireless users that are connected to the router. But I can't seem to be able to, I'm using the app "Wireless Network Watcher by Nirsoft" and it shows 1 user connected which is my PC (connected by ethernet cable) https://prnt.sc/uxdmly I went to the router configuration and I noticed this: https://prnt.sc/uxdlxt . What I concluded is that the router uses seperate "channels" for LAN and WiFi.
The question: How to see wireless users connected to my wifi without using a wifi adapter?

Not very likely that it uses 2 networks you would have massive issues trying to share files if it did.

Something is probably wrong with the tool you are using. All it is doing is running something like a ping scanner. It pretty much just attempts to ping all the addresses in the network and sees what responds. This does not always work if end device has stronger than normal firewall settings turned on. If for example this was a public network someone scanning for other device to attack so the device would be rigged to not respond.

Maybe try another tool, there are lots and lots of network scanners.

In the end though only the router can really see all the devices if high security options are being used. Since the device must talk to the router to get internet it can not hide from the router.

xRaiiny

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
Not very likely that it uses 2 networks you would have massive issues trying to share files if it did.

Something is probably wrong with the tool you are using. All it is doing is running something like a ping scanner. It pretty much just attempts to ping all the addresses in the network and sees what responds. This does not always work if end device has stronger than normal firewall settings turned on. If for example this was a public network someone scanning for other device to attack so the device would be rigged to not respond.

Maybe try another tool, there are lots and lots of network scanners.

In the end though only the router can really see all the devices if high security options are being used. Since the device must talk to the router to get internet it can not hide from the router.
The thing is, if I do it using a wifi adapter it works. Ill try it again tomorrow and edit this.

That is actually kinda strange. In some ways you would expect the reverse. There actually is a feature called wireless isolation that prevents wireless devices from talking to each other and another if you were to say use a "guest" network that forces wifi device to only have internet access and no access to other devices.

If it actually has 2 networks your devices would have different ip subnets. This is a feature that you generally need a commercial router for.

Maybe don't use any fancy tools and just use a normal ping command and see what you can and can not ping.

xRaiiny

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
That is actually kinda strange. In some ways you would expect the reverse. There actually is a feature called wireless isolation that prevents wireless devices from talking to each other and another if you were to say use a "guest" network that forces wifi device to only have internet access and no access to other devices.

If it actually has 2 networks your devices would have different ip subnets. This is a feature that you generally need a commercial router for.

Maybe don't use any fancy tools and just use a normal ping command and see what you can and can not ping.
Hello, as expected, I tried the same application on a laptop connected to the same router using WiFi and it showed all users connected to the WiFi, tried another app on my phone to make sure and yes, every wireless device is listed there. (not including the PC). I checked the local ipv4 of a phone on the laptop and pinged it using cmd and I got a response. However, when I pinged the same IPv4 using PC, it was unreachable.
https://prnt.sc/uxtfrd
PC IPv4 is 192.168.1.3, while the wireless device is 192.168.1.4
as the screenshot shows, i successfully pinged the PC, but I couldn't ping the phone. PS: i can ping the phone on any other wireless device.

This will be a problem not only because I can't check wireless users on the network, but will also make me unable to share files or play LAN games with other wireless devices.

It is all the same subnet there must be some form of firewall or other rule in the router preventing traffic going from the wifi to the lan. Although I am somewhat confused as to what works and what doesn't generally the restriction between wifi and lan is something used on a guest network. Maybe there is a box on the wifi setting on the router that prevents lan access.

xRaiiny

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
It is all the same subnet there must be some form of firewall or other rule in the router preventing traffic going from the wifi to the lan. Although I am somewhat confused as to what works and what doesn't generally the restriction between wifi and lan is something used on a guest network. Maybe there is a box on the wifi setting on the router that prevents lan access.
Thanks for taking your time to help, I found out that Multi AP isolation was turned on. I turned it off and its all good now. Thanks again
https://prnt.sc/uxyi8i