Question How do I move my data from my boot drive in my pre-built PC to a new custom built PC?

Apr 27, 2024
Though I am certain I would just have to do a clean install and manually copy files, I would like to see if there is any way possible I could use my current boot drive in my new system.
I currently have a pre-built HP system, and I have been meaning to move to a custom PC I have been building for quite some time, and I almost have it ready.
The one thing putting me at a standstill right now is what I should do with my current system's boot drive.
It is on Windows 11 Home Edition, but of course licensed under HP alongside myself.
I want to keep all my personal files, games, OS, etc. but I know that I can't just take the current boot drive and jam it into my new system.
My new system is on an ASUS mobo; the HP system is on a proprietary HP mobo as it is a crappy HP Pavilion gaming pre-built.

TL;DR: Should I stick to a clean install and just copy my files over from my current Win 11 Home - Prebuilt HP computer's boot drive (ie. using my old boot drive as an external)? Or is there a way I can migrate the OS and everything else on my boot drive to my new custom built PC without needing to do a clean install of Windows?

is there a way I can migrate the OS and everything else on my boot drive to my new custom built PC without needing to do a clean install of Windows?
it's never a good idea, especially when using a new motherboard.
what I should do with my current system's boot drive.
copy/backup everything needed to a different location.
then you'll have all available personal files, application settings, game saves, etc just waiting to be used in the new system.

the majority of settings and saved data is usually located either in the 'C:\Users' folders
or in the 'C:\ProgramData' folder.
though others can be in other directories.

format the drive.
after the drive has been prepared for use;
install in new system as new boot drive, secondary drive, extra storage, etc...

Last edited: