[SOLVED] How exactly can I transfer certain files to my new SSD

Sukkafish

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
I just got a new Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD. My plan was just to move my OS (Win10) and a couple games that I play often to the SSD, and maybe some other programs/files. The software that Samsung recommends to transfer data doesn't work for me because my current HDD has around 890GB on it, and all the software can do is completely clone the drive. There isn't an option to just pick what you want it to clone, only deselect media files that you don't want to clone. Iv'e tried EaseUS Todo Backup as well, and I run into the same problem.

I guess my question is, is there a software that just lets me pick and choose which data and files I want to transfer to the SSD, or how I would do that.

Solution
Ok so then how do I even use it. Just reinstall all the programs and fresh install of Windows 10?
That, or reduce your current data to below 400GB and clone that over.

You simply have too much stuff and too small a target drive.
There is no magic for this.

USAFRet

Titan
You can't do "just the OS".
The Samsung Data Migration has a function to unselect certain file types. But NOT applications.

"I guess my question is, is there a software that just lets me pick and choose which data and files I want to transfer to the SSD, or how I would do that. "

No, there is not.

Sukkafish

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
You can't do "just the OS".
The Samsung Data Migration has a function to unselect certain file types. But NOT applications.

"I guess my question is, is there a software that just lets me pick and choose which data and files I want to transfer to the SSD, or how I would do that. "

No, there is not.
Ok so then how do I even use it. Just reinstall all the programs and fresh install of Windows 10?

Sukkafish

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
That, or reduce your current data to below 400GB and clone that over.

You simply have too much stuff and too small a target drive.
There is no magic for this.
I'm aware that there is no "magic" for it. I just wasn't under the impression that doing something like moving specific files or programs from one storage device to another was considered "magic".

USAFRet

Titan
Selective applications would be "magic".

An application install creates dozens, sometimes thousands of entries in the Registry and elsewhere. A cloning tool would have to know about all of that, for hundreds of thousands of individual applications.
And then rewrite the Registry as needed, to account for the new drive letter and path variables.

That would be a GREAT function, but sadly, it does not exist.