Question How I can enable USB Boot Support on laptop without integrated keyboard ?

Apr 23, 2022
Hi!

I have an Asus G551JM laptop. I accidentally turned off USB BOOT SUPPORT in the BIOS. My Integrated Keyboard does not work. I only have a USB on my laptop and I can't navigate in the bios since I turned off this menu. I managed to install a Linux Mint 20.2 (UMA) boot and it works perfectly. But I want navigate in the bios. Anyone know I might be able to enable USB support from a terminal? Or maybe any other idea?

• I try USB 2.0 keyboard but not worked.
  • I took out the battery on motherboard (wait 1 min) not to reset bios. ( The main battery unplugged)
  • I shorted the circuit at the battery on motherboard so there was no reset on the bios. ( The main battery unplugged)
  • In grub I can't navigate with the arrows in the bios either.

I've been looking for a solution on the internet for 4 days but nothing has worked so far.

Someone help !!!:homer:

(My english is not fluent. Sorry).

Apr 23, 2022
Last resort: you could try disconnecting the laptop's hard drive and see if that forces it to boot into bios. If successful, you could try resetting the bios to its default and see if that enables usb boot.

I try this too. I can Enter the bios but i can't navigate with arrows.. Or f9, f10, +, -...
Unbelievable.
I hope someone has a solution for this problem. 🙏

Reactions: dwd999
Apr 23, 2022
Okay its not bad idea. But when i update my bios i need to navigate in bios and choose the right option (easy update or something like that). But i cant navigate in bios now. I can update or reflash automatically? How can i start easy update without keyboard? Can you write for me step by step?

Okay its not bad idea. But when i update my bios i need to navigate in bios and choose the right option (easy update or something like that). But i cant navigate in bios now. I can update or reflash automatically? How can i start easy update without keyboard? Can you write for me step by step?
I guess not, I was thinking there might be a hidden button you could press that would load a bios but all that I saw was this procedure for resetting cmos:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042613

"Please turn off the laptop (press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds until the Power light is OFF to force shut down), then press and hold the Power button for 40 seconds to do CMOS reset."

Did you try resetting the cmos this way?