[SOLVED] How many watts are future-proof?

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
I plan to get a rtx 3080 which needs a recommended 750 watts. I do plan to upgrade the graphics card in the future, so I would like to know how many watts for a psu I should get to be safe in the future.

Solution
I would expect an 850w will be enough for future systems with a single gpu but that is a guess. Also get a trusted brand with good warranty and a psu model with good reviews. Quality of the psu is very important especially with the latest generation of gpu’s. Gold rating is just for efficiency, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a high quality psu. The warranty is also important, from a good company it will cover the whole pc should the worst happen and the psu causes damage through a fault and are usually 7+ years. For a gaming pc don’t cheap out on the psu.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
how long is a peice of string at this point ive gone from 750w to a 1000w for my red devil 6900xt which it recomends a 900w psu but its a moot point ...
lol like it will ever draw that much power with a 15% oc power limit imposed with AMD
anything 850w to 1000w 80 plus platinum is ideal in my opinion.. unless you want to do serious over clocking then 1000w up is solid future proofing

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You can probably never long term future proof a PSU, in ten years from now we might even want 10000Watts or more PSU's to power our beloved and wanted latest GPU's, but then again the dev's and engineers might find a way to pump more compute power without requiring more watts.

I have a 1000Watts in both my pc's and so far its great, looks, sounds and types awesome!

USAFRet

Titan
I plan to get a rtx 3080 which needs a recommended 750 watts. I do plan to upgrade the graphics card in the future, so I would like to know how many watts for a psu I should get to be safe in the future.
  1. Just like the cake, "futureproof" is a lie.
  2. By the time you need a replacement for a 3080, you'll likely need a new PSU anyway.
  3. Anything much beyond 1000 watts starts to impinge on the capabilities of a typical residential wall socket. PC + 2x monitors + speakers....

Until the latest generation of gpu’s the psu requirements had generally slowly reduced over the last decade so the increase was a bit unexpected, it is impossible to say what will be required in the future. I have read the EU were looking at how to reduce the power requirements of home computing, they have already put wattage limits on other products, for example vacuum cleaners.

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
Until the latest generation of gpu’s the psu requirements had generally slowly reduced over the last decade so the increase was a bit unexpected, it is impossible to say what will be required in the future. I have read the EU were looking at how to reduce the power requirements of home computing, they have already put wattage limits on other products, for example vacuum cleaners.
I guess I really want to know if I should stay at 750 watts or move to 800, 850, or 1000. I do not want to make a future replacement to this and if anyone can make somewhat of a guess to this it would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at buying through CyberPowerPC.com right now. Also, if the psu is a Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply instead of a name brand is that reliable enough? Thanks

I would expect an 850w will be enough for future systems with a single gpu but that is a guess. Also get a trusted brand with good warranty and a psu model with good reviews. Quality of the psu is very important especially with the latest generation of gpu’s. Gold rating is just for efficiency, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a high quality psu. The warranty is also important, from a good company it will cover the whole pc should the worst happen and the psu causes damage through a fault and are usually 7+ years. For a gaming pc don’t cheap out on the psu.

Solution