[SOLVED] How much of a performance loss do you get with eGPUs?

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
I have a GTX 670 connected over ExpressCard to my laptop and in GPU-Z the PCIe bus speed was capped at x1 @ Gen 1.1. How much of a performance loss do I get compared to sticking it in a desktop? (btw I am using an external monitor). Also, shouldn't it be running at Gen 2 speeds? I have an Intel Core i7-2760QM and it supports 16 lanes of PCIe 2.0, yet I'm still running at Gen 1.1 speeds. I do have a dGPU on my laptop but I disabled it (NVIDIA NVS 4200M) but did notice in GPU-Z that it was running at x16 lanes of PCIe 2.0, but if I disabled the GPU in Device Manager, shouldn't my eGPU be running at Gen 2 speeds? I'm using the EXP GDC dock and according to the link here it says it supports it:
https://egpu.io/best-egpu-buyers-guide/#expresscard2-interface

Solution
In some cases I've seen half the performance, in others, there's no difference. It all depends on what you are doing and how much pcie bandwidth it requires. Since you already have it, you can run your software/games/benchmarks and compare it with others.

It may just be downclocking to pcie 1.1 when idle. You may have to stress it to make it go to 2.0.
In some cases I've seen half the performance, in others, there's no difference. It all depends on what you are doing and how much pcie bandwidth it requires. Since you already have it, you can run your software/games/benchmarks and compare it with others.

It may just be downclocking to pcie 1.1 when idle. You may have to stress it to make it go to 2.0.

Solution