[SOLVED] How much will my mobo bottleneck my gpu

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
I have an MSI 760GM-P21 (FX) motherboard and i plan on buying an RX 570 RS XXX edition from XFX, but it's a PCI-E 3.0 x16 card, and my mobo is only PCI-e 2.0 x16. I am aware that they are backwards compatible, but how much will the bandwidth bottleneck affect my FPS?
Full specs:
AMD FX-6300
MSI 760GM-P21 (FX)
8GB KINGMAX DDR3 1333 RAM
500GB Seagate HDD
80+ bronze 500W PSU

Solution
You're effectively cutting the bandwidth in half but there's probably going to be no more than 5% decrease in performance. I would be more worried about the processor, if it's stock it will probably slightly bottleneck the gpu & if you only have 1 stick of 8gb ram that's an issue too because you're not using your motherboards dual channel ram capability which HEAVILY effects your fps, without dual channel ram you're looking at loosing up to and even over 25% of your performance

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
You're effectively cutting the bandwidth in half but there's probably going to be no more than 5% decrease in performance. I would be more worried about the processor, if it's stock it will probably slightly bottleneck the gpu & if you only have 1 stick of 8gb ram that's an issue too because you're not using your motherboards dual channel ram capability which HEAVILY effects your fps, without dual channel ram you're looking at loosing up to and even over 25% of your performance

Solution

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
My FX is indeed running stock, because i dont trust my motherboard for an OC. But my RAM is in 2x4GB configuration, so it is running dual channel. Thank you for your answer, now I won't be paranoid anymore about performance hits.