How should I configure my 3 hard drives?

Awatson

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004
Hi, Newbie here, I currently have two hard drives, a a 30G IBM DTLA307030? 7200 RPM and 40G WD 400AB? 5200 RPM

I want to buy a 160 or 200G hard drive cause I've run out of space, but then I'm not sure what to do with all 3 of them. If I use the new drive just for data/media storage is the speed very important? And if I use it for the OS should I spring for 8mb and get a smaller capacity?

Should I run the OS off of the IBM, or should I partition the new one and run it off of their since it will probably be faster anway?

Should/can i put the IBM and WD in RAID 0, and then run the OS off of that? If so does it matter that one is 7200 and the other 5400

Should I get rid of one of the hard drives?

Should I put the hard drives on the same.. (channel? Master/slave) and if so which drives where.

Also I don't really know anything about backing up files. If I want to back up my OS one of the new ( data) drive would I want to partion it into two parts? One for data and one for backed up info?

Saw something about OS not recognizing large drives/partitions do I need to worry about that running Windows 98? I have an ABIT KT7A Raid.

Also my WD says its full when I write to it, but properties says it has 7 gigs of free space, anyone have an idea why.

Sorry for all the questions. I built my computer a couple of years ago, and have since managed to forget most of what I learned. No need to answer everything just tell me what you think I should do.
Thanks for any help.

Adam Watson

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd probably toss those small drives in some other systems, don't you have any older systems to put them in?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>