[SOLVED] How to avoid Double NAT with 1 modem/router and 1 router?

SirJimie

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
My wish is to be able to use my own TP-Link router so that I can use QOS for all my devices, as my ISPs modem/router does not support QOS.

The issue I have, however, is that the modem/router does not support bridge/modem mode, therefore if I just connect the TP-Link to my modem/router, it will cause Double NAT.

What can I do (if anything)?

FYI: The TP-Link Router is the Archer C60 AC1350 model.

Solution
My wish is to be able to use my own TP-Link router so that I can use QOS for all my devices, as my ISPs modem/router does not support QOS.

The issue I have, however, is that the modem/router does not support bridge/modem mode, therefore if I just connect the TP-Link to my modem/router, it will cause Double NAT.

You could try setting your TP-Link in the DMZ of your ISP device. You will probably still have double NAT.
Find supported modem only hardware for your ISP and replace the modem/router combo with a standalone modem.

kanewolf

Titan

You could try setting your TP-Link in the DMZ of your ISP device. You will probably still have double NAT.
Find supported modem only hardware for your ISP and replace the modem/router combo with a standalone modem.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

kanewolf

Titan

What internet bandwidth do you have? If you have high bandwidth internet, QOS won't provide any benefit in most cases.

SirJimie

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
What internet bandwidth do you have? If you have high bandwidth internet, QOS won't provide any benefit in most cases.
Hey, thanks for the response!

Currently, I have extremely poor bandwidth, although I should be upgrading to Fibre relatively soon. I currently have approximately 7Mbps down and 0.4Mbps upload. Whenever someone does something like uploading files to the cloud, it just saturates the whole internet and makes it unusable for things like gaming. That's why I thought I'd use QOS as I can put a limit on how much bandwidth specific devices or activities can use. I know it works quite well too as I had set it up before (by simply connecting my TP-Link router to my modem/router with Ethernet cable), although the problem I had was with Double NAT.

From my understanding, Double NAT can cause problems like higher latency or firewall issues (which I definitely do not want). This is why I'm trying to find a solution that will prevent this.