News How to Bypass Windows 11's TPM Requirement and Upgrade from Windows 10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan
I think the focus on TPM came about when we learn of the fact that the magic code that the TPM system generates is used to encrypt the hard drive(s) in the system. Ergo, ANY little glitch that changes that magic code (intentionally or accidentally), or causes it to become unavailable, turns your hard drive(s) into paperweights. Literally. Permanently. Oh, some data recovery shops might claim to be able to get it back ... but certainly not at any reasonable cost (assuming they are successful in the first place). <sarcasm> But we don't need to worry. All Microsoft stuff is so bug-free and reliable that we never have to worry about such things. </sarcasm>
Simultaneously, the drive manufacturers are 100% reliable, and no drive has ever died or corrupted. </sarcasm>
I've had more problems with physical drives than with Microsoft or motherboard manufacturers.

Backups under your control are the key here.

Dec 24, 2021
I have already meet all other requirements. I have TPM 2.0 enabled and my PC supports Secure Boot . This fix still wont let me proceed . Message displays that my CPU not supported

ttocsmij

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
They chose to draw the line at TPM 2.0, something not required for anything except DRM and will not feature in the Chinese and some other foreign editions, but they chose to keep the requirements low at 1ghz dual core, 4GB RAM, 64gb storage, and 1280x720 display, all of which were commonly exceeded 15 years ago except on garbage low end OEM machines and today barely runs Windows much less any application on top of that.

As far as generation goes, I'd say Sandy Bridge on Intel and Zen on AMD with the additional requirement that it feature at least a 2ghz quad core. The requirements should also be upped to 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, and 1920x1080 display resolution, something fitting for 2021.

Anyone that believes you can run a Windows-driven system on 4GB is dreaming as they sit by waiting for anything to happen (assuming they are only running one program at a time). We have Win7 and WinX systems in the house. The WinX both came with 4GB. I upgraded one to 8GB and its performance took off. But my "poor old" Win7 system kicks both their derrieres running on 16GB; and I usually have Office Word and Excel running plus a dozen-plus Chrome windows (each with dozen or two tabs open). And that old Win7 UI is head and shoulders above the WinX UI (try Recent Files in two clicks on WinX without some extensive hacking of the UI for example LOL). It's obvious the WinX UI is unworkabley stupid since Microsoft essentially abandoned it for an Android / iMAC mashup on Win11.

Dec 24, 2021
have already meet all other requirements. I have TPM 2.0 enabled and my PC supports Secure Boot . This fix still wont let me proceed . Message displays that my CPU not supported

Now after using "Windows11Upgrade Tool from GitHub" i have managed it. very easy.(y) after first attemp i got this error

“We couldn’t install Windows 11” We’ve set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 11. 0x800F0830 – 0x2003 The Installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_UPDATES operation.
The solution was to disable Intert/WiFi and try again.

Worked pefectly and now my PC is downloading updates atoumatically too(y)(y)(y)

Dec 27, 2021
I just fresh installed 11 on an old computer without TPM2 using the Rufus method described here (without any other preparation) and it’s working fine so far. There were a few blank screens as it installed but I just left it to it and it continued OK. It downloaded some security updates without being sick. And I was able to backup my iPhone and iPad- which was the main reason I didn’t switch to Linux. I’ll post back if I have future problems.

Dec 31, 2021
i7 2670QM, 8 GB RAM is ready to go with Windows 11 onboard.
win11.png

hucker

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013
Just tried all the methods, none of them work on any of my 6 older machines, even the MS official one, looks like they changed their mind. Only 1 of my 7 machines has TPM 2, this is ridiculous.

USAFRet

Titan
Just tried all the methods, none of them work on any of my 6 older machines, even the MS official one, looks like they changed their mind. Only 1 of my 7 machines has TPM 2, this is ridiculous.
Ridiculous why?
What compelling reason is there to change to Win 11 on a non supported system?

All of my Win 10 boxes are staying Win 10 for the foreseeable future.
The one Win 11 capable box is....Win 11.

hucker

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013
So, you're a mod here yet you don't want to use the methods on your own website?

Well I don't want outdated stuff on my machines. I want the latest things with more features and less bugs. Windows 11 has already made my game (Fallout 4) faster.

For what it's worth, to make it work, you have to do the github method (How to Bypass Windows 11 TPM Check From Windows Update), then also use the rufus method afterwards. I've just made a DDR2 spec machine get windows 11!

USAFRet

Titan
So, you're a mod here yet you don't want to use the methods on your own website?

Well I don't want outdated stuff on my machines. I want the latest things with more features and less bugs. Windows 11 has already made my game (Fallout 4) faster.

For what it's worth, to make it work, you have to do the github method (How to Bypass Windows 11 TPM Check From Windows Update), then also use the rufus method afterwards. I've just made a DDR2 spec machine get windows 11!
On all of my systems that are not Win 11 capable, they are staying on Win 10.

Win 10 is not "outdated". it is supported until Oct 2025.

Currently, using both, there is little real need to try to forcefit an unsupported system to Win 11.
I see pretty much no difference except for the graphics.

Dec 27, 2021
Rufus worked on my PC that fails TPM, CPU and DirectX. Seems to be updating happily for a month.
I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, just followed the instructions. Just did it for fun. Don’t like the toolbar or two-step right click menues but I expect I’ll get used to them or MS will backtrack as they did with the Start button.

Feb 27, 2022
A simple script allows you to upgrade to Windows 11 or up your previously-installed Windows 11 if you don't have TPM.

How to Bypass Windows 11's TPM Requirement and Upgrade from Windows 10 : Read more
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this, and if so, please kindly direct me to the appropriate place.

If I do this experimental Win 11 install on a "testing" SSD, will doing so affect my EXISTING Win 10 install?
In other words, if I try this, will it bork my working install of Win10 by doing a trial upgrade of Win 11 on a separate drive?

USAFRet

Titan
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this, and if so, please kindly direct me to the appropriate place.

If I do this experimental Win 11 install on a "testing" SSD, will doing so affect my EXISTING Win 10 install?
In other words, if I try this, will it bork my working install of Win10 by doing a trial upgrade of Win 11 on a separate drive?
Any experimentation should be done with your working Win 10 drive completely disconnected.

May 6, 2022
Thoughts on this issue? I have an "older" laptop. It stopped receiving MS updates a year or more ago. Research showed it stopped due to the processor being "incompatible". I have been running win 10 pro for a couple years without issue except for the updates. I found this article about doing the upgrade to 11 w/o TPM.
I bought a new drive and did the install on that just to confirm all the drivers and devices worked. They did on a new install. No problems at all. I figured this was a good sign, I cloned my existing win 10 drive to the new drive. I then attempted an in place upgrade on the new drive from 10 to 11. It failed. From the logs it looks like it failed when it tried to do a win update in the upgrade process.
Any thoughts on a way around the upgrade process doing a win update on 10 before the actual upgrade to 11?

Oct 29, 2021

USAFRet

Titan
The article is shown as 19 days old .
I followed the defeat TPM method because my Asus Z97 Pro doesn't recognize the TPM chip I added - no option in BIOS.
Problem is RUFUS is updated and the option for extended W1 without ...... is no longer there.
For a Z97 board, why o why are you worrying about TPM and Win 11?

D

Deleted member 14196

The article is shown as 19 days old .
I followed the defeat TPM method because my Asus Z97 Pro doesn't recognize the TPM chip I added - no option in BIOS.
Problem is RUFUS is updated and the option for extended W1 without ...... is no longer there.
Take the TPM out

fc528e

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
Don't think was stated here, but Rufus 3.17 is the last version to have the Image options to bypass TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot. 3.18, 3.19, and 3.20 are all missing them and only have an ancillary option for Windows on the go.

Sep 3, 2022
Don't think was stated here, but Rufus 3.17 is the last version to have the Image options to bypass TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot. 3.18, 3.19, and 3.20 are all missing them and only have an ancillary option for Windows on the go.
Thank you for mentioning this. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

Sep 10, 2022

Thank you @fc528e for what was obvious from the screenshot but not from what the writer stated in the article as it seems they may have removed it from newer version 3.18 and onwards

Step 1 was a little misleading now but may have been true at the time of writing

In essence ignore step one telling you to install the latest version

1. Download the latest version of Rufus and install it on your machine. At the time of writing the latest version is 3.19 which includes the Extended Windows 11 Image support.

Should be changed to

1. Install version 3.17 as it appears all newer versions no longer includes the Extended Windows 11 Image support .

Oct 20, 2022
Before using any workarounds, I would wait to see if they continue to work after the official release in a few days of Windows 11
As of 20th October 2022, this technique is still working perfectly. Installed 2x older systems that have no TPM and this worked perfectly. After installation, all updates installed without problems.

Oct 20, 2022
TPM isn't an issue. Why the media got hooked on that requirement, I don't know. TPM 2.0 is in essentially all CPUs from 2015 onwards. The issue here is the requirement for Secure Boot being enabled (which most current custom PC builds out there aren't, and businesses) and the ridiculous arbitrary ruling on CPUs whether an 8th Gen Intel Core or 2nd gen Ryzen. Even a 1950x Threadripper isn't cutting it even though its stronger than an i9-10920X.
Well, not an issue for you, but an issue for 100's of millions of people (that's just a fact, if not billions). All 15 of my PC's that I maintain for myself and my family have no TPM. This has helped me to put Win 11 onto a couple of older (2013) NON-TPM Core i7 laptops and they are working perfectly now.

Oct 20, 2022
Exactly that.
Beta/Dev builds are one thing, what happens in actual release may be something quite different.
As of 20th October 2022, this technique is still working perfectly. Installed 2x older systems that have no TPM and this worked perfectly. After installation, all updates installed without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.