How to connect orange disk drive ribbon back to disk drive

Chacha

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Hey, my computer wasn't reading any cd's that i put in the CD/DVD-ROM drive in my laptop so I was trying to remove the disk drive as directed by my laptops help personnel online. Apparently i shouldn't have tried cause in the process the ribbon came unattached from the part of the disk drive that pulls out. Now my computer won't come on. Even worse, atleast the power light was on and the battery charge light but now none of them are coming on. Can someone please help me! I was thinking about taking my laptop to compusa to get fixed but i figured if the problem was just the ribbon connection maybe i could do it myself.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
is there a connector on the end of the cable?
if there is you may be able reconnect it but if not your probably sol and the cable will have to replaced.

Chacha

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
It's confusing because the end of the ribbon has metal on the top side and a white smooth texture on the bottom side so i can't imagine how it was attached in the first place. The other end of the ribbon is still connected to the inside of the computer. There is only a clip that i guess was hoding that end into the drive but it's kinda lose and not as long in width as the ribbon[/img]

G

It's confusing because the end of the ribbon has metal on the top side and a white smooth texture on the bottom side so i can't imagine how it was attached in the first place. The other end of the ribbon is still connected to the inside of the computer. There is only a clip that i guess was hoding that end into the drive but it's kinda lose and not as long in width as the ribbon[/img]

Normally those types of ribbon connectors get inserted into a slot where the metal makes contacts with metal inside the slot. Check the harddrive (harddrive bay?) that you pulled out for a slim looking plastic piece that you could insert the ribbon into.