How to Edit Your Comments

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
WOW! I have never noticed there is an "Add your comment" button before! Why? It is because I try to read through all the post made, so I end up at the text box entry when I am ready to make my comment. Guess what? There is no "read the comments on the forum" link down here.

Yes, I knew there were forums. No, I didn't know the comments on the articles were associated with the forum and not the articles in the blog.

I think what we have is a failure to communicate - in other words, bad user interface design. The users are confused by your setup and inconsistencies between domains that are housed under the tomshardware domain.

The easiest solution? Get rid of comments on the article page and just leave a link to the forums to discuss. This is an intuitive user interface, and then there is no mystery about how to edit a post. Alternatively, show the comments but get rid of the comment box - replace it with a link "To comment, please visit our forum" link. Both would let me know that you are merely showing comments from a different part of your website.

My disappointment isn't that I have to go to a forum. It is that Tom's is a tech blog, but their unintuitive UI for commenting reflects on their "tech savvy-ness". Alternatively, the inability to have an edit button appear on my posts within the article comments also shows a lack of "tech savvy-ness".

A UI shouldn't be designed the way you like it - it should be designed for the Dilbert Principle. (the principle that says we are all idiots at one time or another...)

Just mentioning Dilbert is worth a thumbs up in my book. :D

randomizer

Champion

"Tom's" don't maintain the site though.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Now that the secret's out, perhaps you could shed some light on another topic? Why can't we "Show" and "Hide" comments anymore? We can do so on the forums, just not within the article's page. If you're not going to provide full-functionality within the article's page, you might as well skip it and redirect us directly to the forum page for comments.

On second though, that would remove many page hits, therefore removing advertising hits as well... My bad.

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I feel like most comments are kinda shoot and forget...so I don't think many people will bother with this feature.

LoBi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
There shouldnt be an edit button cause people usually type the first thing that comes into their head and then edit for popularity. When they get so used to doing that it spills over into real life. Randomguy responds "Like futinari!" and then realises he is in real world and cannot edit. Its embarressing.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
For the most part, nobody would know where that edit button is.

Its good and bad... On other sites, it has kind of been a problem when people go back and change (not correct or typo-fix) their post/comment, screwing things up.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I agree with those who believe it should be embedded within the comments page instead of having to go to a different page (for the same comments) to do it.
Why complicate things?

Like the new link, it is handy. As far as editing goes, no it was not always there, but it has been there for a long time, like years! I just went and checked, I hunted back to posts about 6 months old , and I can still edit them.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]Hilarion[/nom]Didn't work for me. I went looking and no edit button.Ah... It only appears to work right after you have entered your comment. After that you appear to be stuck with your typos.[/citation]

Me too

EDIT: Same prob can only edit straight after post

Status
Not open for further replies.