Question How to fix FPS drop while gaming due to Thermal Throttling at 88 degree core i7 8750H Asus Tuf 504GD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2021
Hi,
I played Rainbow six siege on my laptop about 2 years. But suddenly facing fps drop. I monitored my temperature and other usage and found my CPU is throttling when it becomes 88 degree and it happens when a round starts. It becomes unplayable now. But I tried Valorent and it works fine with the temperature of 60-65 degree still hate valorent.

Back to the point, to fix this problem, I went through google for solutions. I've tried :

1. Checked cooling system and heatsink if it's vented properly or not.
  2. Changed thermal paste.
  3. Added cooling pad.
  4. Undervolted my CPU core and cache (-160.4mV) using Throttlestop 8.70.
  5. Power management system keep balanced
  6. Maximum processor state to 50%
  7. Updated drivers and BIOS.
  8. Turned off background apps from task manager.
  9. Turned off start up apps.

None of these solved my problem. Though I found it 80-81 degree for the first two days of doing these. After that it becomes a problem again. Is there any way to stress my CPU lesser by dividing some stress to GPU as it's stays around 65-70 degree while playing siege? or any suggestion to keep CPU less stressed?

My config :

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: TUF GAMING FX504GD_FX80GD
BIOS: FX504GD.316 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8046MB RAM
Page File: 4939MB used, 8482MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

titaniuman101

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
Hi,
I played Rainbow six siege on my laptop about 2 years. But suddenly facing fps drop. I monitored my temperature and other usage and found my CPU is throttling when it becomes 88 degree and it happens when a round starts. It becomes unplayable now. But I tried Valorent and it works fine with the temperature of 60-65 degree still hate valorent.

Back to the point, to fix this problem, I went through google for solutions. I've tried :

1. Checked cooling system and heatsink if it's vented properly or not.
  2. Changed thermal paste.
  3. Added cooling pad.
  4. Undervolted my CPU core and cache (-160.4mV) using Throttlestop 8.70.
  5. Power management system keep balanced
  6. Maximum processor state to 50%
  7. Updated drivers and BIOS.
  8. Turned off background apps from task manager.
  9. Turned off start up apps.
None of these solved my problem. Though I found it 80-81 degree for the first two days of doing these. After that it becomes a problem again. Is there any way to stress my CPU lesser by dividing some stress to GPU as it's stays around 65-70 degree while playing siege? or any suggestion to keep CPU less stressed?

My config :

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: TUF GAMING FX504GD_FX80GD
BIOS: FX504GD.316 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8046MB RAM
Page File: 4939MB used, 8482MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Try to gently remove the fans only WITHOUT tearing the "black paper sealing tape" ( it helps direct air flow)....

Get a wooden toothpick and gently scrap the dust blocking the air transfere....
I was SURPRISED how much DUST was CLOGGED between the fans and the heatsinks on the heatpipes HIDDEN under the black tape...

I had the SAME problem with "CPU/GPU" throttling with my ASUS TUF 504GD (i5 8300H @ 2.3 / Turbo 4.0Ghz) . I STILL POWER HEAT THROTTLE.

MAX GAMING LOAD:
I was at: CPU @ 92'C / GPU @ 88'C
Now at: CPU @ 82'c / GPU @ 58'C (30'C drop!!!) (no pads.... straight AritcSilver5) NON CONDUCTIVE

When you get the money remove the HHD for a SSD. No moving mechanical parts. Takes a HUGE strain off the power supply unit. Also use BOTH RAM SLOTS to enable DDR....
best to have (2x 8GB) instead of (1x 16GB)... that alone will take HUGE STRESS off CPU / GPU running in DUAL LANES instead single ram slot... At this point you NEED to CONFIGURE RAM and SDD for gamming to manage power throttling issues...

Also before you apply thermal paste... those CPU/GPU surfaces as well as resistors around the GPU have to be mirror finish cleaned with lint-free cloth. Or you'll get BAD HOT SPOTS... no air pockets when applying pastes... SLOW steady firm squeeze.

Sounds like you did 100% what I did... we just bought a bad NEW design. Rumor is ASUS should have placed MORE.... HEAT TRANSFERE PIPES between the CPUs / GPUs. It is what it is NOTHING you or ASUS can do. My opinion.

Purchase:
Newegg.com
**Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-12G - OEM
**Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET)

Hope this helped,
---

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS