[SOLVED] How To Fix "Fuzzy" Monitor

Dec 22, 2020
My monitor appears disjointed and fuzzy, possibly a refresh rate issue?
Model is an Alienware AW2518H, about a couple years old.
The blurry / fuzziness continues all the way up the screen with it stopping at the very top for a few centimetres.
3hpvPTr.jpg
qBctQTL.jpg

aTslH6B.jpg
MetYebs.jpg

lnu9BNN.jpg

Any suggestions on how to fix and what's the issue are appreciated.

Solution
ok, since you don't have integrated graphics, do you happen to have any old GPU lying around? (preferably nvidia so you don't have to DDU)

So that we can test if it's the GPU or not?
also, can you tell me how you are connecting to your monitor?
Are you using DP or HDMI?

If using DP, try using an HDMI cable instead if the monitor has a port for that.
If using HDMI but have a DP cable lying around (assuming the monitor accepts DP) try using it.
Try using a different HDMI port (if you have more than one) on the GPU. (or a different DP port)
Try using a different HDMI cable.

Lastly, after all that, if you have HDMI cable lying around, and/or are already using HDMI, and you get the issue on the monitor still, try plugging into your HDTV...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Use DDU and do a clean install of drivers.
To restart into safe mode to use DDU properly, go to start menu, go to power, then hold shift as you click on restart.

Keep holding shift until you get into the recovery menu.
Go to troubleshoot
Go to advanced
Go to startup settings
Click restart then when you get to the selection menu after restart, press the appropriate key to boot in safe mode with networking.

Use DDU to uninstall drivers, then download and install clean drivers for your GPU all while in safe mode. Then restart the computer.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Dec 22, 2020
Use DDU and do a clean install of drivers.
To restart into safe mode to use DDU properly, go to start menu, go to power, then hold shift as you click on restart.

Keep holding shift until you get into the recovery menu.
Go to troubleshoot
Go to advanced
Go to startup settings
Click restart then when you get to the selection menu after restart, press the appropriate key to boot in safe mode with networking.

Use DDU to uninstall drivers, then download and install clean drivers for your GPU all while in safe mode. Then restart the computer.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
I've tried this as well as updating everything on Armoury Crate (my GPU is an RTX 2070 super) any further ideas?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
ok, since you don't have integrated graphics, do you happen to have any old GPU lying around? (preferably nvidia so you don't have to DDU)

So that we can test if it's the GPU or not?
also, can you tell me how you are connecting to your monitor?
Are you using DP or HDMI?

If using DP, try using an HDMI cable instead if the monitor has a port for that.
If using HDMI but have a DP cable lying around (assuming the monitor accepts DP) try using it.
Try using a different HDMI port (if you have more than one) on the GPU. (or a different DP port)
Try using a different HDMI cable.

Lastly, after all that, if you have HDMI cable lying around, and/or are already using HDMI, and you get the issue on the monitor still, try plugging into your HDTV and seeing if the issue persists on the TV.

If the issue persists on the TV then it's definitely not the monitor, and most likely an issue with the graphics card itself.

If your GPU is an ASUS Strix there has been known defective units for that series of the 2070 and super.

Please get back to me after testing all the different things you can.

Solution