Question How to fix SSD not being shown in diskpart ?

THE RONIN

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
I am trying to get my SSD formatted and having windows installed on it but i can't see it in diskpart or any windows tool I tried.
It started with me trying to format my SSD, but that hangs forever, i tried quick and not, formatting and the result was the same. I think my SSD has some bad sectors, and that's why this happened. Newt i tried to zero fill it to see if it works, but that crashed and the SSD is now unselectable in diskpart and not visible within windows. (selecting it in disk part works, but once it gets selected it disappears and i can't clean it or create partitions on it)

I am looking for help on how to get my SSD back on, and hopefully, clear the bad sectors to be able to install windows on it? is there a way i can get some guidance on how to do this ?

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your SSD and it's age? Your SSD's controller might be faulty or damaged. Does the SSD have warranty on it? If this is a desktop, see if the SSD shows up in BIOS. Speaking of BIOS, what version of BIOS are you on and what is the make and model of your motherboard? Do you see any errors show up with regards to the SSD failing SMART?

THE RONIN

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
My SSD is a quite old liteon 256 SSD. i took it from a business HP laptop and i am putting it in another laptop. I am not sure but i did use it before this particular incident, i did format it and put some games on it and did play from it and it worked very fine. So i think the controller is usable. The new laptop i am putting it in, is an Asus 15" mainstream laptop that had a HDD before. And yes i can see the drive in the BIOS.

My SSD is a quite old liteon 256 SSD. i took it from a business HP laptop and i am putting it in another laptop. I am not sure but i did use it before this particular incident, i did format it and put some games on it and did play from it and it worked very fine. So i think the controller is usable. The new laptop i am putting it in, is an Asus 15" mainstream laptop that had a HDD before. And yes i can see the drive in the BIOS.

Test it as a secondary drive in a working system. From your post that a format did not complete and it does not show up in diskpart the drive storage is bad.

THE RONIN

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
Test it as a secondary drive in a working system. From your post that a format did not complete and it does not show up in diskpart the drive storage is bad.

I did test it that way and it did show up one time after booting into windows with it as a secondary, but I can't access it without formatting and the format never finishes. If the drive storage is bad, is there a way to eliminate the bad sectors and keep using it ?

THE RONIN

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2015
I tried putting the ssd into an adapter and putting it instead of the DVD drive slot and it worked very fine. i was able to format it and install windows on it. I think it's a power issue. my SSD needs 1.5A 5V but i think my HDD bay inside my Laptop doesn't do that much power. My original drive in the internal bay was a 1A 5V. Can this be an issue ?
i did check BIOS for any voltage regulation on the HDD bay but there is none.