Question How to get new motherboard to boot through old ssd?

Jan 24, 2020
Hello, sorry if this has been asked before but it's my first time changing a motherboard and I'm having a problem.

I recently installed the asus x570 plus motherboard in my PC and it was all going great until I tried to boot and it says it has no bootable devices. I have windows 10 installed on an ssd on the computer and it recognizes that hard drive but for some reason it won't let me boot from it. Is there a way to force it to boot from that or am I going to have buy windows 10 again?

Sorry if it's an obvious question, like I said above it's my first time doing this and I couldn't find any help online thank you in advance

If you are attempting to boot an existing Windows installation on said SSD you will probably not be able to. It highly depends on what the original hardware was. If it was Intel there is almost no chance. The drivers are too different. If it was AMD it is sometimes possible to go from older AMD to newer AMD but will depend on how it was setup and installed.

For example, was it legacy boot or UEFI?

A lot of newer boards will be killing legacy booting off as Intel is planning to drop it in favor of UEFI which is faster and more secure than the old legacy booting. Some boards will support legacy booting to say a USB or DVD but not to a SSD or HDD.

As for purchasing Windows 10 it depends on the license you have. If it was a purchased license tied to your Microsoft account or a physical copy you are able to transfer that license to a new computer even as a clean installation. I have done it a few times with my 10 license.

If it is an upgraded license or digital license it tends to get tied to the motherboard and would normally require a new license for a new board. You would be best off contacting Microsofts support as they may release your license key and allow you to register it with the new hardware.

Most likely you will have to reinstall Windows 10 clean, it is highly recommended when you change a major part out like the motherboard, in order for it to boot and perform properly.

Hi,
before you take the above advice you can try this first.
Start your PC, press <Delete> or <F2> and enter BIOS .
Go to Boot Override. This displays the available devices. Check if it is listed your old disk and click it to start booting from the selected device.

USAFRet

Titan
"Booting from the old drive" and "buying windows again" are two completely different things.

Buying Windows. If your Win 10 license was/is linked to an MS account, you can probably transfer that license to new hardware.
The license, not the bootable install.
Where did it originally come from?

Booting up the old drive in the new hardware is a whole different thing.
It may or may not. Basically, 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine.
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.

With all new hardware, a new clean install is strongly recommended, often required.

What are all the parts, both old and new. Be specific, please.

It is as well possible that the MBR for the win installation was on a different drive hence no boot able drive found, Common if user re-installed win on a SSD with older system drive still in the computer.
Repair function using windows installation media should fix that.

Windows security looks to boot only from the device on which windows was originally installed using fast boot.
See if in the bios you can turn off fast boot.

If you get to boot, you can run the device drivers that came with your new motherboard.