How to I convert my Hard disk partitionstyle from GPT to RAW with either cmd, powershell, or disk management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iprodigyxx

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
I don't know if it is possible, but for testing purposes I need my hard drive to be in a raw partitionstyle format, it is currently in a GPT partition style. I tried numerous diskpart commands including deleting all existing partitions on the hdd.

PS: The hard drive is a secondary hard drive and does not contain any system files or boot files, it is completely blank.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
RAW is not a Partition type the way MBR or GPT is. When Windows shows your HDD Partition as RAW, it is NOT the Partition style it is talking about. It is the File System installed on that Partition. And what it really means is that Windows cannot understand what that File System is - not that is has a recognizable system called RAW. So you can't use a Windows or DOS tool to install a RAW File system.

As others have suggested, if we knew what sort of testing you are trying, maybe we could suggest ways to prepare the HDD for that.

pegleg1960

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Open the Run window,
type CMD and hit Enter,
type Diskpart and hit Enter,
type list disk and hit Enter,
type select disk "x", x is the disk you want to access...might be 0 or 1, then hit Enter,
**you should now have the disk you want Raw ready to Clean***
type Clean and hit Enter
the disk is now Raw. If you want to create a Partition,
type create partition primary and hit Enter,
you now have a Partition
if you want to format to ntfs
type format fs=ntfs and hit Enter
the drive is now Partitioned and Formatted to NTFS and is ready for use.

Jun 8, 2021
Cleaning a drive does not create a raw file system.
Here is how to do it.
Go to Disk Management
Right click on an Unallocated disk space (you can clean and initialize to get Unallocated disk space)
click on New Simple Volume (this will call up the "Welcome to the New Simple Volume Wizard"
Next
select a Simple volume size
Next
click Do not assign a drive letter or drive path
Next
select Do not format this volume
Next
Finish
This will result in a RAW Healthy (primary partition)

Status
Not open for further replies.