Question How to install secondary software files to non SSD drive?

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
I have an internal 240GB SSD Drive and an internal 1TB mechanical drive in my desktop computer. The SSD is where I have the OS installed and the 1TB drive is used for file storage. When I install software, it typically installs the core program files to the Programfiles(x86) folder or the other ProgramFiles folder and then it installs secondary program files to the MyDocuments folder and the AppData folder in the main user folder. Here is what I want to do: I want to install the core program files to the ProgramFiles folder (to whatever the installer prefers). This will go onto the SSD drive as usual which is done by default. Then I want to install the secondary files to the 1TB internal hard drive. Is this possible? Whenever I install software it typically only gives me the option of choosing where I want to install the core program files. How can I install the primary and secondary files on separate disks like this? Thanks.

System Specs:

Win 10 Pro
12GB RAM
i7 processor

USAFRet

Titan
This hugely depends on the specific application.
But you usually cannot designate parts of it like that.
Stuff that needs to go into AppData will go into AppData, no matter where you install the actual application.

Your Documents folder can be on a secondary drive, but you have to do it the right way.
Pay attention to the OS version:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
There should be no need to move the AppData to somewhere else. That 240GB drive should be sufficient.

Likely you have other things that are sucking up your space.

Install either WinDirStat or WizTree
Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.

Post a screencap here, and we can analyze what you have.
Thanks for your suggestions and help. I'm not overly concerned about optimizing the entire disk at this point. However I have moved the documents, downloads, and dropbox folders to my secondary mechanical 1 TB hard drive. Thanks again.