Jun 2, 2019
A couple of months ago my computer has started to give me some trouble. I've listed the main issues:

1. Games from Fortnite to RE2 used to crash when first opened. A quick press of the reset button on the PC seemed to fix the problem. Now not even that helps me, I can't play games anymore, they keep crashing and crashing.
  2. Sometimes when I turn off the PC, the Ryzen stock cooler and the case fans (they're connected directly to my PSU) keep spinning as if the PC was turned on. This keeps going for a couple of minutes until I decide to press the power button to shut them off.
  3. The same thing happens the other way around, sometimes when turning on the PC both the stock cooler and the case fans start spinning except the ones on the GPU. When this happens there's no signal to the monitor and my Logitech G502 mouse lights don't turn on.
  4. Even after shutting down the PC, the LEDs on my keyboard and headset stay turned on.
  5. I used to have the Video Scheduler Internal Error BSOD but that hasn't happened in a while.
  6. I've noticed that my RAM is running at 1200 Mhz.
These are just some of the problems and I don't know where to begin. My PC has always been plugged to a voltage regulator to avoid any damages.

Is it a problem with my GPU? Is the PSU damaged? Maybe the motherboard?

I hope you guys can point me in the right direction to fix my PC.

Here's the list of my components:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB
  • Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4
  • RAM: 2x8 GB Corsair CMK8GX4M1A2400C16 DDR4
  • SSD: 120GB PNY CS9000
  • HHD: 1TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100
  • PSU: EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze
  • Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-04 Midi-Tower with 3 Fans.

Jul 19, 2018
A couple of months ago my computer has started to give me some trouble. I've listed the main issues:

1. Games from Fortnite to RE2 used to crash when first opened. A quick press of the reset button on the PC seemed to fix the problem. Now not even that helps me, I can't play games anymore, they keep crashing and crashing.
  2. Sometimes when I turn off the PC, the Ryzen stock cooler and the case fans (they're connected directly to my PSU) keep spinning as if the PC was turned on. This keeps going for a couple of minutes until I decide to press the power button to shut them off.
  3. The same thing happens the other way around, sometimes when turning on the PC both the stock cooler and the case fans start spinning except the ones on the GPU. When this happens there's no signal to the monitor and my Logitech G502 mouse lights don't turn on.
  4. Even after shutting down the PC, the LEDs on my keyboard and headset stay turned on.
  5. I used to have the Video Scheduler Internal Error BSOD but that hasn't happened in a while.
These are just some of the problems and I don't know where to begin. My PC has always been plugged to a voltage regulator to avoid any damages.

Hi!

Can you specify what PSU model is it exactly?

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020

If I'm not wrong your ram speed is 1200mhz, but DDR makes an efective speed of 2400mhz

You could start by one of the following:
1- running memtestx86 booting from usb, to check if there are any memory issues, (if any issue is find, then clean the rams contacts with an eraser and DISABLE XMP, if persist, try each module individually, also try each dimm slot, could be a faulty ram)
2- also check the HDD health, check that the SATA cables are in good state
3- Try disconnecting everything but the essentials (just the SSD, mouse, keyboard and ethernet if needed)
Also, if you can try another GPU.

I doubt it is a PSU problem, I think it will be most likely related to the RAM/SATA/GPU, maybe a faulty connector, cable, RAM, HDD or GPU is causing the motherboard the weird behaviour.

My healthy advise is to try step #3 first, if somehow the problem is solved then start connecting everything back one by one testing your pc behaviour.

Last edited:
"A quick press of the reset button on the PC seemed to fix the problem "

Not a good idea...dumping the PC without allowing write caching to complete can damage your OS install as well as program installs.

If temps for the CPU , GPU, and SSD are OK then I would suspect your PSU is the issue.

One other possible issue is the motherboard BIOS battery may be dead...it can cause weird boot and shut down issues...they are cheap and can be bought at most drug stores.

Not sure what happened to my response in my other post, but from what you describe, it sounds one of your drives may be dying. There could also a problem with the SATA cable or the if you are using the ASMedia SATA ports, the controller may be failing and you should switch to the AMD SATA ports. Unfortunately the manual doesn't specify which ports are ASMedia, so you will have to disable those ports in the bios if you can so you can identify those ports when your drives don't show up.
Another way that might work is to change the ASMedia ports to IDE mode from AHCI, because your OS drive won't or shouldn't boot into Windows.

I would get a new SSD for the OS drive if you can afford it. You could alternatively get a decently fast 32-128GB USB 3.0 flash drive and install Linux on to it instead of using Linux as a live environment so you can mess around for a few days to see if the system behaves the same way with Windows. Manjaro KDE or Linux Mint would be easy to get into if you wanted something close to Windows.

Lastly, as suggest before, run memtest86 to check the memory for errors.

TRENDING THREADS