[SOLVED] How to open a port range (multiple ports) on Huawei HG630?

Vaskez25

Prominent
Apr 23, 2022
Hello everyone. I'm having issues in opening ports for a game server (Killing Floor). The ports I need to open are displayed here: https://portforward.com/killing-floor/

As you can see, there are a lot of them, so it would be nice if I could forward a range, but I don't know how. Is there a way to do such a thing?

Here's the picture of my port forwarding screen:
router.png

Solution
This is where the people that write this stuff are idiots many times. There is a difference between the list of port that must be allowed to pass....ie firewall type rules...and the ports that are used for INBOUND sessions.

In general if there is no firewall then you only need the list of inbound sessions.

By default if a data session is opened by the local machine any traffic is allowed to return no matter what ports are being used. This is why you don't have to open tons of ports when you use a web browser. All the sessions are outbound where the very first packet sent is from the local machine.
The ones you need port forwarding rules are when a machine someplace outside your house is sending the first packet. In this...
Can you add multiple rules. Try to fill out one and then see if it allows you to put in another rule. It would be kinda strange if you had to somehow get all the ports in a single screen like that since there is no good range.
If all else fails you can always use the DMZ option. Not the safest thing to do but you could then increase the firewall setting on the end server to block all but the ports you are using.

Vaskez25

Prominent
Apr 23, 2022
Can you add multiple rules. Try to fill out one and then see if it allows you to put in another rule. It would be kinda strange if you had to somehow get all the ports in a single screen like that since there is no good range.
If all else fails you can always use the DMZ option. Not the safest thing to do but you could then increase the firewall setting on the end server to block all but the ports you are using.
I can add multiple rows, but certain ranges have up to 30 ports and I surely hope there is a better way to set those rules other than one by one.

This is where the people that write this stuff are idiots many times. There is a difference between the list of port that must be allowed to pass....ie firewall type rules...and the ports that are used for INBOUND sessions.

In general if there is no firewall then you only need the list of inbound sessions.

By default if a data session is opened by the local machine any traffic is allowed to return no matter what ports are being used. This is why you don't have to open tons of ports when you use a web browser. All the sessions are outbound where the very first packet sent is from the local machine.
The ones you need port forwarding rules are when a machine someplace outside your house is sending the first packet. In this situation you must tell the router which internal machine gets the data. When it is a outbound session it is obvious to the router because the IP address of the internal machine is in the packet already.

Not sure what to recommend read the list carefully. Most times you do not need all of them

Solution

Vaskez25

Prominent
Apr 23, 2022

The ones you need port forwarding rules are when a machine someplace outside your house is sending the first packet. In this situation you must tell the router which internal machine gets the data. When it is a outbound session it is obvious to the router because the IP address of the internal machine is in the packet already.

Not sure what to recommend read the list carefully. Most times you do not need all of them
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand. I'm not network savvy. Can you explain me what should I input in simpler terms?

This is somewhat scary that you are going to run a server in your house and you have little knowledge of how the server really works.

Either put in rules for all the ports or figure out which ones are actually NEED to be open for inbound. Other wise just put them in one by one and see if it works. You then would want to try deleting rules to see which ones you don't really need.

This would be nice if every router did it the same so there could be some clear instructions but every vendor is different. Some actually do let you put in a range of internal ports. How exactly these screens run in routers many times is not even documented that well by the manufacture so you have to guess.

It mostly doesn't matter most routers if you leave it blank it does not change the port number. You would only need to put in a internal port if you want to change the port as it went to the server. You can also do stuff like change a large range of port to a single internal port. Not sure if this router works that way or not.
But forwarding many different ports to a single port is not something you tend to see on a game server but there likely are cases where you do need to do that.

The main issue is not some simple range like this. It is the games that have huge lists of ports where it requires lots of rules to get those in. The problem is many of those lists are just lists of ports that are used not which ones are used for incoming sessions which is the only type you need to port forward for.
You want to have as few rules in the router as you can because it will impact the router performance and the more holes you punch with forwarding rules the more risk you take you are going to get hacked. You only really want the very minimum ports open as it takes to run the server and nothing more.

But like you many gamers do not take time to learn any networking basics and just cut and paste these lists of ports having no clue what it means. The original source may have actually spelled out what each port is used for but someone did not want to take the time to understand so they just copied the port number part.

Vaskez25

Prominent
Apr 23, 2022
This would be nice if every router did it the same so there could be some clear instructions but every vendor is different. Some actually do let you put in a range of internal ports. How exactly these screens run in routers many times is not even documented that well by the manufacture so you have to guess.

It mostly doesn't matter most routers if you leave it blank it does not change the port number. You would only need to put in a internal port if you want to change the port as it went to the server. You can also do stuff like change a large range of port to a single internal port. Not sure if this router works that way or not.
But forwarding many different ports to a single port is not something you tend to see on a game server but there likely are cases where you do need to do that.

The main issue is not some simple range like this. It is the games that have huge lists of ports where it requires lots of rules to get those in. The problem is many of those lists are just lists of ports that are used not which ones are used for incoming sessions which is the only type you need to port forward for.
You want to have as few rules in the router as you can because it will impact the router performance and the more holes you punch with forwarding rules the more risk you take you are going to get hacked. You only really want the very minimum ports open as it takes to run the server and nothing more.

But like you many gamers do not take time to learn any networking basics and just cut and paste these lists of ports having no clue what it means. The original source may have actually spelled out what each port is used for but someone did not want to take the time to understand so they just copied the port number part.
I managed to get it working. I port forwarded the ports from the Killing Floor PC list (not the Steam one), so there was no need to port forward any ranges. Ether way, thanks for the help.