May 19, 2020
Hey, so since i've got my 3800x i've been searching on-line for a guide to overclock it, since i've never did an overclock before i just dont feel comfortable doing it by myself. The thing is, i can't seem to find a guide that explains everything that i have to do in order to do it right.

All i'm asking is if anyone could help in this matter by linking me to a guide or explain me how to do it.

I'll leave my pc specs in case that helps providing me with information about the overclock.

Ryzen 3800X
Asus Prime X570-PRO
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB DDR 3200MHz
Asus Turbo GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR5X
Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO RGB
CoolerMaster V650 Semi-Modular 80 PLUS Gold ( i'm going to upgrade it soon to a Sesonic PRIME Ultra 850W Gold Full Modular. I'm planning to use my existing PSU for my girlfriend's pc build that i have in mind).

I got my radiator monted in front of the case using 2 Corsair ML140 PWM fans as intakes and 3 Corsair LL120 fans monted as exhausts on the top and back of the case. My case is a Phanteks P400 with a tempered glass window.

Why do we overclock?
The reason is to get more compute power for(in theory) nothing.
Ryzen will overclock from perhaps a multiplier of 40 on all cores to 42 for example.
My question is how much is 5% performance worth to you?
You may not get even that much. Some chips are better than others and will allow overclocking. That is called getting a better bin. You will pay a price in terms of heat and perhaps longevity of your chip.

May 19, 2020
Why do we overclock?
The reason is to get more compute power for(in theory) nothing.
Ryzen will overclock from perhaps a multiplier of 40 on all cores to 42 for example.
My question is how much is 5% performance worth to you?
You may not get even that much. Some chips are better than others and will allow overclocking. That is called getting a better bin. You will pay a price in terms of heat and perhaps longevity of your chip.
Oh i see, putting the things in those terms do you really think It’s not that worth going for the overclock?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I have a 3700x on an ROG Strix X470-F and I have PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) on Auto.
BUT I set the Performance Enhancer Setting to Level 3 (OC).
View: https://imgur.com/iRRm3K3

The Performance Enhancer setting (on the AI Tweaker Tab in my BIOS) in my BIOS increases the Limits for PPT, TDC and EDC.
It also Tweaks the XFR2 and PBO settings.
This gives me well above average 3700x Performance (at least on Benchmarks) but doesn't stress my CPU or VRMs too much.
I also use the AMD Balanced Power Plan which allows the CPU to downclock at idle but Boost to 4.4 Ghz when needed.

I have OC'd my CPU just to see what it can do and I was able to get a 4.35 GHz all core OC which did increase Performance quite a bit, BUT it also increased the Voltages and Temps quite a bit.

So for everyday use I chose to use the Performance Enhancer Setting with PBO on Auto for daily use.

I don't know if your BIOS has the Performance Enhancer setting but if it does I would try Level 2 or 3 and see how it affects performance vs temps/voltages with your CPU.

no0va.bhamade

Prominent
May 26, 2020
depends on your mobo! I have an asus tuf x570 gaming plus wifi paired with a 650w 80+ gold psu and ryzen 3800x overclocked to 4.425 ghz on 1.31250 vaults and ran Aida64 for 12 hours and was stable! All I did in pics below (copy & past to browser)

https://prnt.sc/t2grga
https://prnt.sc/t2gs6d

Got me 5160 cpu score in cinebench r20 and 504 in cpu (songle score) 10.24 MP Ratio.
Good luck.