Question How to restore or recreate a 'system reserve partition'?

robertkjr3d

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
So my drive boots fine. It has been cloned from a problem drive. However I'm getting an error when I try to do 'Windows-Updates' 0x800f0922 (which it says has to do with the System Reserved Partition)
It is complaining that it cannot find the 'System-Reserved' partition or it isn't properly configured. Well yes, I can see that:

mtyJ9.png

It even has a 'drive-letter' the L-drive is supposed to be the 'System-Reserved' partition. What is the best way to correct it?
No I do not want to rebuild my Windows-10... There must be another answer.

robertkjr3d

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
>Cloning does not fix...
I understand.... The windows-partition is fine however. I was able to save the installation.

Here is the image of the entire Disk Management

Disk-3 is literally a SSD-backup of the M-2 Disk-4. The M-2 was created later. It now boots from the M-2, or Disk-4. Disk-3, is not really necessary anymore. I just experimented with deleted the 'system-restore' partition on Disk-3. That is why it shows as unallocated. But I haven't yet touched it on Disk-4. It should be noted that Disk-3 is not the original drive either.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I understand.... The windows-partition is fine however. I was able to save the installation.

Here is the image of the entire Disk Management

Disk-3 is literally a SSD-backup of the M-2 Disk-4. The M-2 was created later. It now boots from the M-2, or Disk-4. Disk-3, is not really necessary anymore. I just experimented with deleted the 'system-restore' partition on Disk-3. That is why it shows as unallocated. But I haven't yet touched it on Disk-4. It should be noted that Disk-3 is not the original drive either.
Can't see your screencap. It never resolves.
Upload it to imgur.com and post the link here.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, 5 physical drives.
Need some identification as to what is what.

And, at the end of the clone process, the first thing you needed to do was...power off, disconnect any and all other dries, and allow the system to try to boot from only the NEW drive.
This is not optional.

robertkjr3d

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
Ok, 5 physical drives.
Need some identification as to what is what.

And, at the end of the clone process, the first thing you needed to do was...power off, disconnect any and all other dries, and allow the system to try to boot from only the NEW drive.
This is not optional.
Yes... did that, a while ago. It does. I did this with Disk-3. (At one point it was by itself.)
I was happy-go-lucky. But knew the 'reserved' partitions looked kinda-wonky. Then I moved to Disk-4 a M-2 drive. I suppose I shouldn't have done that yet before cleaning up.
Ignore Disk1, Disk2 (they are just data-disks),... and Really Ignore Disk 3... As I said, I Disk3 is just a copy now. Disk 4 is the active partition.

However, I did not expect that 'windows-update' would not work. Given the 'Wonky' Reserve partition. I also thought could be easy to correct.
P.S. I wish I disconnected Drive 3... so as not to confuse the question. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the issue, for the original question. Because both 3 and 4 suffer the same issue. How to restore a missing 'system-reserved' partition? Or what the system thinks is not a system-restore part.

You can see from the image which drives are marked 'System & Boot'. The EFI on Disk4 and the 'Copy of C' on 4."

Edit: I realize I didn't even have the question correct at the top. I changed it to 'system-reserved' partition. Not 'Recovery'.

Edit: Ok... The SYSTEM-RESERVED partition is lay-over from the MBR days, which maybe it used to be. This is a GPT disk, which should not have one. It is booting UEFI. With the EFI partition. I'm going to reexamine the 'Update' error again.
Yes, the partitions may be find. I actually deleted 'Disk-4'-'L-Copy' above, the 450mb, it was the former 'system-reserved' and then extended the EFI partition to 300MB. That also caused no-change. Still that 'update' does not finish.
The real-problem may be that this particular 'Windows-Update' just blows-out. Maybe, the error itself giving a false-reading. And its little to-do with the recent changes to the computer configuration. Its something else.

Error is 0x800F0922 Update is: 2020-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4592449).
This particular one seems to be troublesome

Last edited: